Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Last Goodbye

Elizabeth looked up at the sky, "Do you think dad would have met mom up there?" She spoke as she sit in the backyard over the grass. The sun has set, and all of the relatives went back to their houses – now they will return for Owen's funeral tomorrow morning. Marcus, who sat beside her look up as well and shrugged, "I hope he does," He mumbled. He doesn't even know what his beliefs are about the afterlife, but he sure does hope that people get to meet their loved ones there – at least for once.

Elizabeth hummed. She stretched her feet out and leaned back on her elbows. Her forearms pressed against the cold grass. It was getting chilly, but she liked it. The cold wasn't bothering her, she had too much on her mind. "Do you think he ever forgave her?" She questioned next. Marcus sighed and looked at his sister. He softly smiled, "I hope he did," He replied.

Elizabeth slowly turned to look at Marcus. Her eyes were swollen and hooded from crying all day long. "Did you forgive her?" She asked. Marcus smiled and nodded his head, "I did. I did even before she –" he paused and gulped. He still sometimes feels that Ruby's suicide was unreal – like it never happened and she is living peacefully somewhere in the UK. Elizabeth nodded her head, she know what he was trying to say.

Elizabeth and Marcus were silent for a few seconds as they enjoyed the breeze. They had a long day and now they were trying to relax their minds by sitting out in the backyard. It brings Elizabeth memories of the time when Ruby passed – Marcus and she had a meaningful conversation for the first time in a long time. It feels the same. While these two were sitting outside, everyone else was inside – just being there for each other during this difficult time.

Elizabeth was the first person to walk outside. She didn't feel like being in the room where Owen isn't. She didn't feel right that all her family was there, but her biggest support – her father wasn't there. Her eyes were searching for him, so she walked out – Marcus followed him soon after. He had the same feeling. Owen was just telling his kids the other day how they need to stop smoking whenever they are stressed – maybe that's the reason why neither of the siblings brought out a cigarette. Owen didn't like it, then how could they smoke in his memory?

The two of them heard footsteps and turned their heads around to find Silas walking out – while putting his jacket on. He had a spare jacket in his hand that he threw at Elizabeth, "You will catch a cold," He told her while he loudly exhaled and sat on the other side of his sister. Elizabeth mumbled a small thank you while putting on the jacket – it felt nice to feel a bit warm.

"Where were you?" Marcus asked Silas. "I was changing Ezra's diaper," He replied. Elizabeth and Marcus glanced at each other before they both chuckled. Silas looked at them and rolled his eyes, "Real mature, you guys." He mumbled. "It is not like you don't do it, Marcus. And, Elizabeth, you can laugh all you want, I will too when you will be changing diapers of your own kids," He commented.

Marcus lowly laughed, "I wasn't making fun of you. I am just saying – it is weird to think that you are doing all these things. You couldn't even hold a child properly," He spoke while Elizabeth rolled her eyes, "Can we please not talk about me having kids? It freaks me out," She mumbled. Silas and Marcus shared a glance before they both looked at Elizabeth, who was once again looking up at the sky in complete silence.

Silas shrugged, "Honestly? I didn't even think I would be good with kids. I mean, you saw the way I was around Kathie when I would babysit her. I didn't know what to do. Before Ezra, I used to have sleepless nights thinking about how I was going to raise a child, but now – it doesn't seem so bad. It can be tiring, but that little man's face always put me in a better mood," Silas replied. He purposefully talked about it, so that Elizabeth could stop feeling so scared when it comes to kids.

Silas or Marcus would never force her to start a family with Leo, but if she wants kids and she is only scared that she will not be a good mother, then she needs to remove all that nonsense from her head. They have seen her with their own kids, she is such a caring aunt and then when they saw the way she feels for Liam – they did not doubt that she will be an amazing mother – to Liam and to any child she decides to have in future.