Chapter Thirty-Eight: The One They Lost

Maria stood in the corner of the room wondering how everyone is calmly living in this world when we all know that death is inevitable? Everyone has to leave. The worse part, you never know when – or maybe that is the best part, or else people would just live in fear of death, but even so, it has to come – doesn't it? It is not like anyone has ever escaped it. Everyone has to leave. Some leave early. Some leave late. Some are forced to leave and some just want to leave. But no matter who, how, and when they go – they always leave someone behind to grieve.

Like right in front of her, she watches with widened eyes as Elizabeth, Marcus, and Silas – all gathered around Owen's bed weeping, sobbing – crying as Owen lays there – cold and unbothered. That makes her wonder if the person that leaves truly finds peace? Owen was in pain. He was exhausted, but he didn't want to leave – Maria saw the shine in his eyes when he would witness his children and grandchildren all around him. But, again – no one can escape this. Owen couldn't either.

Owen Harrison passed in the middle of the night in his sleep – surrounded by his loved one. Maria recalled the last memory she had of him – which was hardly a few hours ago when she came in to check on him. The caretaker was giving him the medication that would help him sleep, he knew he would never wake up. Owen wished her goodnight before he took his medicines. Only if she knew, she would have stayed by his side. Was he scared when it happened? Was he even in his senses? Did he even feel anything?

"Dad, no – please. Wake up!" Elizabeth cried. Maria let out a shaky breath and looked at Elizabeth, who was bearly on her feet. If it wasn't for Leo holding her, she would have been on the floor. She next looked at Marcus and Silas – who were hugging each other – sobbing. They lost their father. Owen was gone.

"Maria," She felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around to look at Charlie, standing beside her – her eyes filled with tears. There weren't a pair of eyes dry in the room. Everyone wept. They all cried as they stand in the room with a man who cut all connections from this world – didn't he? He said his farewell. Charlie gulped, "Maria, you need to sit down. You are shivering." Charlie spoke and held Maria's hand. She led her to the chair in the other corner and made Maria sit. Maria let go of her crutches as they landed on the floor – causing a loud noise – which made Silas look at his wife with teary eyes.

Even when the doctor told them that this will happen. Even when they were trying to accept Owen's faith. Even when they knew he could go any day now as his condition was getting worse – still they weren't able to prepare themselves for what happened. Silas walked to Maria and sat on the floor in front of her. He put his head on her lap and cried, "He left us," He wept. His entire body shook. Maria closed her eyes tightly as tears fell off her eyes. She smashed her lips together – trying to hold in the sob. She had to be strong for Silas. She placed her hand on his head as he cried on her lap.

Charlie watched Silas and Maria before she looked at Franklin sitting beside Owen, crying beside his friend. Marcus had his hand on Franklin's shoulder, while he himself was a mess. No one excepted it to happen tonight, even when every night held the risk, but again – who can ever be prepared to let their loved ones go. Charlie walked to her husband – keeping her eyes off Owen's body to make him look like he is having a peaceful sleep. She couldn't look at him without breaking down. She reached beside Marcus and held his hand. He looked at her and tightly held on to her while he cried. Charlie, next, wrapped her arms around her husband and let him cry on her shoulder.

Elizabeth's legs gave up as she slowly slide down on the floor – sobbing her heart out. Her father left her. Leo got down with her – holding her down. He didn't let her go even for a second. He got here before anyone else. When the caretaker rushed to Marcus and told him that Owen is not breathing, Marcus went to Leo – asking for his help.