Chapter XIX: An Interrogation

Noah was already at his limit.

He knew it, he knew he wouldn't last for long. Whatever that Honoka girl did to revive him, if he used his powers once again in such a short period of time, he would collapse. But it was the only weapon he had. The only thing that these powerful beings they were dealing with did not have, and the only thing allowing his current weak, pathetic self to be useful.

He had to get stronger, that was for sure.

"I will be the one asking the questions, not you." , he told Honoka. To his surprise, she only smiled, as if she had predicted his every word.

"Very well." She replied, and extended her right hand towards the imprisoned woman, a gesture that meant he was allowed to proceed with his interrogation.

He could have let her do the talking, because she would know the right questions to ask Aoki, but at this point, he trusted his own powers more than the words of a girl who had tried to harm Hitori, in the past. The creature called Aoki, under the spell of his voodoo magic, would tell him the absolute truth, and for now, that was enough.

The boy fixed the doll with his ruby-gleaming eyes, stared into the two black holes on its hay-made head, and said: "Aoki, the creature known as the caretaker of the Fukushima Orphanage, who are you?"

Behind him, the real Aoki spoke with a raspy, snake-like voice, unlike her very own, as though she was possessed by some spirit.

"I was a demon, who lived since the Ancient times, who fought in the war alongside my King. I am now a teacher, taking care of abandoned children, loving them like they were born from my own flesh."

"You fought in a War. What war are you talking about?" Noah asked.

"A war between the supreme creatures of this Universe. Angels and demons."

"Why was there such a thing?" Hitori intervened, despite herself.

The demon paused, and looked at the voodoo master. Only his questions shall be answered. Noah nodded at the doll, and Aoki spoke again.

"The two races were never on good terms. Demons wanted humans to join their ranks, and angels wanted to keep the world as it is. Humans on Earth, Angels in Heavens, Demons down in the Core. That's why they met on a neutral earthen territory, and fought for millions of years. We are immortal beings, so the war kept on for too long. Angels, as they died, regenerated in Heavens, then came back to the Warfront. Demons did the same."

"And is the war still on?"

Aoki shook her head.

"Why?" Noah asked.

The demon paused, her eyes went into a daze, as if she did not understand the question.

"I said, why did the war end?"

"I...I don't know. I don't remember. All I know is that I fought there, then I found myself raising children in Fukushima."

The boy turned to Honoka. "Do you know anything about this?"

The girl shrugged. A gesture that meant absolutely nothing, which pissed Noah off. "Not a single angel knows the real reason behind the ending of the war. There are missing records in history, and someone obviously messed with our memories, rendering that period unknown."

Angel. Our, she had said. Honoka is an angel.

"You spoke of a king." Noah continued, turning back to his doll. "Could the king possibly detain this piece of information?"