Chapter XLVIII: Monster

Once upon a time, there lived a little boy. The boy had a name, but he no longer remembered it. The boy walked on Earth, asking everyone the one question that no one could answer: What is happiness?

The boy walked and walked, looking around him, searching for the meaning of his life. He hadn't realized until he met her.

That he had been terribly lonely.

He couldn't remember his real name, but he knew hers. Another lonely person, just like him.

The boy was told that he was a killing tool, nothing more, nothing less, but the girl believed otherwise.

They both ran away from their past, and as they ran, they learned more about each other. Slowly, the girl became the boy's happiness. He finally found his answer.

Hold my hand, Hitori, he told her.

I will, always, she replied. Her laughter was like a lullaby, rocking him to a sleep full of things all little boys in the world dreamed of. No dangerous knives, no wings coming out of backs, no blood dripping from wounds. Just small houses with parked cars, noisy schools and annoying teachers, love letters hidden in lunch boxes.

The days went by as the boy and the girl eternally ran, without getting tired, for the darkness of their past was soon catching up to them. They ran faster, but it was faster than them.

Hello again, Noah, the darkness said. I finally reached you.

Go away, the little boy screamed.

I finally reached you, but I will not take you, I will take the girl.

No, stop! he screamed.

The Darkness only smiled back. I will take the girl, and only then will you come to me willingly.

You shall regret your love for her

You shall meet your end

and you shall see

that Lies come with mercy

Truths are the ones that kill

Weapons, no longer fancy

For love, blood will spill