Chapter LXVIII: A New World

After Lailah and Michael made up, we took the necklace, making sure not to destroy it, and flew away from the forest of suicide back to the Heavens.

Lailah held an urgent meeting with her Royal council. I was in it, of course.

We knew the Oracles were watching us, but we didn't care. They were going to know anyway.

Noah's idea was to cease all the fight between the angels and demons, forever.

It wasn't an easy task. We had to reveal the truth to all the angels.

They were in shock, but thanks to Lailah's words, they believed us.

After all, the fact that angels were humans before explained many things.

Why some of them diverted into evil, why some of them lied, why they could feel everything the humans did, why angels, demons and humans looked very much alike. They weren't perfect creatures with unending goodness in their hearts. They were just enhanced humans, after their so-called death. It was a way for the Oracles to try to create a better world. Yet, demons were born because humans could never be perfect, and soon enough, conflict arose between the two sides because they were all different sides of the same coin. They were all driven by the same motive.

Typhon, being one of the Oracles, decided to stay in the shadows, observing everything from afar.

"The Oracles' reputation will change, so no one will believe me if I tell them anything. I'm going back to my Techno Shop." He said, as he waved us goodbye, vanishing from view.

I still don't know exactly why he helped us.

That guy will always be weird to me.

Noah's role, as he was in the Core initially, consisted of revealing the truth to Belleth and the rest of the demons. They feared him, because now, he was stronger than all of them combined. When I asked Noah how he was going to approach Belleth, he ignored my question, telling me he will handle it.

Sure enough, when we met again, he and Belleth were walking side by side, like they have been friends since the beginning.

As for me, I stayed away from the demon. He was my biological father, but the fact that he killed my mother was proof enough that I must never trust him. His letter, after all, had chilled me to the bone.

Save me, he had written.

In the end, it was Noah who did. Whenever Belleth looked at me, his eyes watered, filling with a warmth I have never known before. He seemed always lost in thought, looking at me and way past me, smiling a little.

I guessed he was gaining back his memories from when he was a human.

Good for him, I thought, then minded my own business.

Noah had to once again use his Voodoo magic against all the demons. He summoned as many dolls as he could, as many daggers as he managed, then stabbed each and every doll.

After that, the demons had lost their powers, and with it, their will to kill and destroy. They were back to the original humans they were, just like Belleth.

As for me... I was instructed to do the same, but differently. After I had turned into an Oracle, Typhon told me that the poison in my lips spread to my whole body. It was a poison that nullified angel powers, turning them back into humans.

That's why we were granted these powers, from the very beginning. Noah had Voodoo spirits by his side, not to kill and conquer the world with fear and violence. I was given poison lips not as a curse. It was simply a cue for us to save the world in our own way. We had thought that the reason why Noah could erase immortality was for him to become a destruction tool, but we were wrong all along.

We, to be more precise, could erase immortality because it wasn't meant for this world, because it needed to be gone.

Humans need to die so they can live.

The funny thing? I had a strong feeling Typhon was playing all the cards by himself, all along.

"What are we going to do with the Heavens and the Core, now that they are emptied of immortal creatures?" , I told Noah.

"I thought you'd ask that!" , he exclaimed, his voice full of confidence. "You were worried about the misery in the world still happening, right?"

I nodded, frowning. Where was he getting at?

"Have you ever heard of karma?"

"Of course"

"To make it simple, we will be karma itself.

There will be a day every month, during which humans will be judged. They will receive the same treatment they inflict on others during that month, equally. If it is good, then rewards will be given. If it is bad, they will be treated accordingly, so they learn to step in each others' shoes. Slowly, lessons will be learned, and humans will stop being selfish. Slowly, the world will correct itself."

"But Noah," I protested. "Who will direct this whole punishment day idea?"

My boyfriend only looked more excited. "Us, of course!"

"Um...Forever?"

"Well, yes. Forever. And we will use the Heavens and the Core for that purpose"

I had a feeling Noah wasn't sure of what he was doing. He wasn't sure he could maintain such a heavy promise forever. The idea of immortality itself scared the hell out of me.

He knew I was going to hesitate, so he grabbed my hand, his eyes turning the color of the ocean.

"Hitori", he told me. "It was the only way to protect our normal lives. It was the only way to grant your wish and save the world at the same time. Immortality is scary, and I have no idea what will happen from now on. I am scared as well. But I also know that I want to spend the rest of my life with you, and even if I were to be reborn, I will look for you and find you, and confess my love again. And relive my life with you. I want you to teach me about yourself, and about life. I want our own mundane life to continue, even if it will be filled with a whole new level of responsibility. However I know that if it's with you, I can do it."

"Noah" , I whispered, looking down at my hands, my face feeling hotter than the sun.

My heart belongs to him, and only to him.

"You're an idiot" , I grinned.

And he kissed me.