Chapter XXV: Sacrifice

Deep down, Noah was terrified.

He would rather die than let it show on his face. He was trained from a very young age to keep those feelings tucked away in a dusty corner of his heart, for whenever one is exposed, it takes a single word to end their life, it takes no more than rusty old scissors to severe the fine thread that connects one to the world of the Living.

The skeleton sirens hovered above his head, waiting for his final answer.

The girl's soul is in our hands. Alas, the order is yours.

Give us the girl, and we will grant you your deepest desires. You shall be King. You shall be the strongest among all creatures. You shall reign on the three worlds. The Heavens, the Core, and The Earth.

Your Father will come back to you. Your mother will spend her days boasting about your mighty ability.

The Voodoo Magician shall bask in the light of Glory, for all eternity.

All you must do is say three words.

Take the girl. Take her away.

Noah's vision shifted, the moment the sirens finished their honey-coated speech. He suddenly found himself staring at a faceless woman. He was lying in her arms, his hands smaller than he remembered. His eyes were drowning in tears, but his hearing was sharper than ever. The woman had long black silky hair that fell on Noah's stomach, reached to his small hands. His chubby right palm grabbed a lock, while the other held the woman's clothes. Noah only saw her smile, heard her voice, caught her scent in his nostrils.

The smell of the sea.

A surge of nostalgia hit him all at once, along with a strange feeling of calmness. His eyes were drying out of tears, but he still couldn't see the woman's full face. Her voice was monotonous, yet so feminine, so sweet, resembling young singers he often heard on Japanese commercials. She was singing him a lullaby, but he couldn't quite understand it. The ups and downs of the song carried him like waves to the world of dreams, rocking him like a boat on the smooth surface of a lake to Sleep, his eyes getting heavier and heavier.

Until the vision shifted again.

He found himself back inside his home, in the living room exactly at the same time and day he asked his father that cursed question.

He heard himself speak despite desperately wanting to shut up.

His lips moved on their own, without his consent.

Father , he said.

His father lowered the newspaper from his face, revealing a double chin under a fine jawline, big scarlet eyes with a sharp nose, snow-white skin, almost pinkish, and a firm look on his face. Agiel had long black hair, tied in a bun behind his head that made him look like those old samurai in Historical Japanese movies.

He looked at Noah with the most bored expression. Eyes that stared past the boy into the void. As if talking to his son meant nothing but a wasted couple of minutes.

Noah didn't remember feeling this way back then. He didn't understand his father's look until this very moment. A moment he wasn't even sure was real, in the first place.

Why am I not happy like those humans?

What is Happiness?

Noah, you are training to be a King.

You don't need such a vague concept in your life.

was Agiel's answer. To which the boy only nodded, and the vision shifted again.