Chapter LVI: A Plot

"Let me get this straight" , Kai started, trying so hard not to choke on the cookies he was served in the angel Guard's room. "You want me to take the boy away from his own mother, so that Lailah's heart gets all broken, her hatred for demons grows, and she comes running to your arms?"
Michael nodded. "Positive" , he smirked while sipping orange flavored tea. They were sitting in a rather small living room. Against its four walls stood red velvet sofas, surrounding a round black transparent glass table. Posters of Lailah in different clothes, different outfits and different places decorated every corner of the wall. Kai felt watched by all those eyes. He couldn't help but be disturbed by the occasional glare he thought he saw in one of the pictures. It was as if the room was alive, judging his every move, ready to react accordingly.
"What do I get in return?" , he asked, feeling like falling into a trap.
"I will grant you free passage to Heavens, until your life is over. You will spy on Noah and the demons for me, and you get to see Lailah suffer, isn't that the best deal for you?"
The best deal? Kai thought. Only for you.
He wanted revenge, but not like this. Not like taking someone else's love away from them. He had no right to do that.
"Do you realize you're trying to start a war by triggering the Queen, right?" , he asked to avoid an answer he did not know of.
"Why do you care? Don't you want revenge?" Michael pointed his pinky at Noah's father, the one free finger that broke out of a hand holding a white teacup, the way the rich humans did it. He glared at him for a long time, waiting for the answer he was sure he would get.
Silence was the most uncomfortable between them. While Kai looked down at the full cup that rested on his knees, Michael remained silent, giving the man enough time to think it over. Kai considered his possibilities: if he was to use physical violence against Lailah, he was already a goner. Emotional torture was his only choice. He wanted to make the Queen feel the same way he did: hurt, betrayed, and lonely.
He didn't like the angel guard's ways at all. More than smelling like a trap, his own obsession could lead to an unavoidable war between the creatures.
"What if I refuse?" , he finally spoke.
Michael considered him carefully, with eyelids half closed, irises shining more than the room's light with a milky color, a million times worse than darkness.
"If you refuse, I'll make you do it."
"Why me? You can use any other angel that works for you"
"You fool!" Michael suddenly stood up and shouted. The teacup came crashing to the floor, making a loud noise only they could hear, for the chamber was soundproof. Kai's whole body recoiled as he put both arms on his head and shut his eyes, fear pushing him away from the angel as far as the room allowed.
"The boy is used to you. Sending anyone else inside My Queen's chambers is too risky. The Oracles are watching, too"
"What if the Oracles bail on me?"
"If they do, then it's just not meant to be. If they don't, then they're watching you and letting you in because it's part of destiny"

Oracles? Are they the gods of the angels? Kai wondered, but did not dare to ask.
His cookies suddenly did not seem as delicious as the first bite was. He put his cup on the dark glass table. He crossed one leg over another and joined one fist with the other. Michael must NOT see him trembling. Otherwise, all is lost. His dignity, his power as the husband of the Queen, his self-control.
No matter how many times he thought it over, this was the only way to get his revenge on the queen. The only problem was, just getting inside Lailah's room was a fright in itself, let alone for the sole purpose of stealing a baby. Such a horrid task, one that only cowards resort to.
Michael was a selfish jerk who only thought of himself and his Queen, but he was also the captain of the guard. If someone had the upper hand in this deal, it was him. If someone was being threatened, it was Kai.

"Question" , the man said. "If you could force me to do what you wanted, why discuss it with me in your own living room over a cup of tea? Why ask in the first place?"
That's when Michael laughed. He laughed so hard he doubled over, tears peeking out from his lower eyelids, both arms grabbing his guts to keep them from melting by the fire of a sense of humor only he could understand.
"I didn't expect you to be so smart as to detect the lie" , he said, still chuckling.
"So you can't make me kidnap Noah if I don't agree to it" , Kai answered, anger crystal clear in his tone, mixed in with a little relief.
Michael shook his head, all amusement already gone from his face, replaced by a look of disdain.
An ugly grimace twisted his lips in weird angles, a sight Kai would remember for as long as he lived.
"Positive" , the angel admitted. "I can't control your actions because I will be found out by the others, and becoming a fallen angel was never in my plans. That's why I'm proposing a great deal for you. You get your revenge on the girl, and I get the girl. It's a win-win situation, don't you think?"
"My hatred benefits you"
"Indeed" , Michael sang the word.
Kai did not know what to think of this angel. What would he call someone like that? Obsessed? Delusional? Evil? Selfish? All of the above?
A plan only cowards thought of, and only cowards could pull off. Because cowardice was easier than bravery. Cowardice was a great excuse to avoid facing your own despicable self, to blame everything on others, then pretend you are nothing but a hero who came to fix what's been destroyed on purpose, by no one but you.
Kai was a coward, and he knew it. But most of all, he was also terribly hurt, and the only way to heal is to hurt back.

"Deal" , he whispered, knowing fully well that no one would hear him, because the living room was soundproof.