Chapter XXI: The Need For A Smartphone

The following day, Honoka had the guts to send us out shopping.

"It will be a good time to build each other's trust" , she had said, smirking at me as if I was her new partner in crime. "Plus" , she added. "Noah needs a smartphone, doesn't he?"

"Do you think I'm not smart enough to handle a normal phone? Is that what you think?" Noah lashed at her.

For the first time since we met the angel, I laughed along with her.

"You've got a lot to learn, my boy" , she said.

Noah's eyes turned scarlet red, his cheeks flushed the same color as he clenched his fists and fell silent, showing us his teeth, like a wounded animal about to attack.

I lift my arms up in surrender. "She's all yours, I'm not the one who started this." I said that, but I couldn't contain a smile.

Noah's ignorance about the world can be so cute.

"Tomorrow morning it is!" , Honoka beamed, her wings spreading in response. She pointed at the chained Aoki-sensei. "I will take this demon back to her own house. She has kids to take care of, doesn't she? Then I'll watch over you guys as you sleep."

"Gross" , I pouted.

"Says the girl who will let Noah sleep in her house. A boy and a girl alone together"

Now it was my turn to blush from head to toe. "Who said I will allow him?!"

"Hitori '' , Noah interrupted, his voice so on edge we both turned to look at him. His irises lost their color once again.

That's when he isn't feeling anything, is he? , I realized. Noah's base-emotion. Emptiness.

I don't know why that stung a little. For spending the night with a girl meant nothing to him.

"I need to keep you safe. Who knows when another demon will come and threaten us like your teacher did?"

Honoka raised her hand as if she was in a classroom, and without waiting for permission, she retorted. "Technically, I will be protecting you both, but let's not let Noah be uncomfortable, shall we?"

It very much sounded like she was implying something, although I doubt either of us knew what it was. I decided not to bother with such an unpredictable creature.

"Have fun, you two!" , she sang.

And on that happy note, she took off in flight, Aoki-sensei tied and unconscious, floating behind her as if bound by an invisible rope.

*******

Shibuya's crossroads was, as usual, bustling with people. It occurred to me that this was exactly when I first met Noah. At first glance, I had thought he was just a heartless kid, no friends, no family, just a big hole of darkness ahead: an unrecognizable, easily forgettable nobody.

How wrong I was. It seems so far away now that I think about it, despite it being a few days ago.

If only for a moment, I could guess what Noah felt through the color of his eyes. Red for anger. Honey for understanding. Gray for calm. Colorless for whenever he put down his guard, allowing himself to feel nothing at all, putting his own heart at rest. And blue...

Blue was the one color I had not yet found a meaning to.

What was the point of turning his eyes into my dyed hair shade? What could possibly be going on in Noah's mind whenever---

"--ori...--itori...Hitori!"

I was suddenly pulled from behind by my wrist. Seconds later, a giant colorful bus passed by, inches from my face. I looked down at our...intertwined hands?