Chapter XX: Decision

Noah didn't know how to feel about any of this.

Him? A master of Death? A few minutes ago he was convinced he was just a fly, a mere pawn in his parents' hands, unworthy of glory. And now? He was discovering he had a power no one else in the universe had.

With power comes conflict. His father had once told him.

Angels, demons, a war that had happened a long time ago, that had ended for an unknown reason. A boy, born merely sixteen years ago, with unknown origin, was now declared to be an essential weapon for ending the war. That much was obvious. If Noah was on angels' side, he would want to completely get rid of demons using voodoo magic, and vice versa.

That meant he was now pursued by both immortal races.

Another war was about to begin. Over one boy.

But what was the role of Hitori in all this? Honoka was the one to bring trouble into their lives. She was the one who provoked Hitori, who led Noah to come to the bathroom that day, who then escaped, only to come back now, when the two teenagers were in imminent danger. She had no interest whatsoever in Hitori. Which did not explain her random actions...

Noah wrecked his brain to remember the incident.

Honoka was flirting with the ocean-haired girl in the girls' bathroom. She had waited for Noah to come, and when he was about to leave...

Wait! She screamed. Like she needed...

Like she needed Noah to know about Hitori's powers.

Like she purposefully wanted the two of them to meet, to become allies, to make that fateful deal.

Noah looked at the angel. She was sitting cross legged on the floor, one hand behind her back, scratching it over and over, her face the mirror of annoyance. She twitched slightly, feeling his stare. However, she paid him no mind as she became suddenly interested in her own body, refusing to look him in the eye.

The extremely loud silence that followed the realization was broken by Hitori, who seemed to think out loud, despite the untrustworthy individuals in the room. Strangely, she asked the same question that tormented the boy's mind.

"If Noah was the one wanted by everyone, then tell me, Honoka" , she began. "Why did you protect me too? What am I to the angels?"

The boy with the midnight hair and the colorless eyes was genuinely surprised she didn't make much of a reaction on the news concerning him. Perhaps she already thought of him as insanely powerful? He did not know. He felt like he would never figure Hitori out. Perhaps her unpredictable actions were part of being human, too.

Honoka pursed her lips. She hesitated, then finally gave in. "I don't choose whom to protect and whom to kill. My orders come from above."

"That's very useful to know" , Hitori muttered, which made Noah chuckle, despite the gravity of the situation they were in. He knew now that she would say the exact opposite of her words' meaning, simply to mock the other person. Did all humans use this peculiar way of speaking too? He was eager to try it. Noah couldn't help but become more and more used to the girl's presence. They had gone through enough together, and she was the only potential ally he had.

So he decided.

And stood up.

"Honoka, Bind this demon with your chain swords again" , he ordered, and the angel obeyed.

"Release" , the boy said with a firm voice, as the hay-made doll's black eyes faded into nothingness, as the female demon fell to the ground like a fresh corpse.

Without missing a beat, Noah grabbed Hitori's right wrist, ran to where the bedroom is supposed to be, and shut the door behind them.

"Sit" , he ordered the girl. "On the bed"

Hitori's face seemed to catch a whole new shade of red.

"N-Noah" , she mumbled. Her honey-gleaming eyes were now wider than ever, showing her entire irises. "What are you--"

"Private meeting" , he insisted, which only freaked her out more. She stood behind the door, her arms around her chest protectively.

"You're not going to-- On...the bed--"

"What's the matter with you?!" , he exclaimed. "We're having a chat about what to do next. Why else do you think we are here?"

Her face relaxed at his words. "Right" , she coughed, trying to collect herself a bit more. "I am sorry, I will be sitting now"

Noah, then, without an ounce of hesitation, told Hitori about his own conclusions.

"But why?" , she asked no one in particular. "Why use such twisted methods to let you know about my curse? And..and...why?" she raised her arms in the air in frustration.

"To be completely honest" , Noah responded. "I don't buy a word of what that angel is saying. But one thing is for sure. She is determined to gain my trust by protecting me. She needs me to be on the angels' side. She needs my Voodoo magic to end the war once and for all."

"And which side are you on?" , the girl asked.

"Neither" , Noah replied.

That's when she displayed the brightest smile he has ever seen. The same one in his dreams, back when he passed out in the Orphanage. Noah liked seeing that smile, it made him feel like everything will be okay, because that smile, he has seen it before, in a memory he wasn't even sure was real. A woman gazed at him from above, singing to him, telling him amazing stories he had already forgotten, but that gave him butterflies in the stomach, that eased his nightmares, that rocked him to a cozy, peaceful, adventure-filled sleep.

"I am the same as you" , she giggled. "I am on my own side"

Noah found it pleasant to smile back at her. For once, they were getting along. Two orphans against the world.

"They're using us" , he said, all amusement quickly gone from his features. "They're using us to solve a centuries-long war."

Noah didn't want to be part of any of this. He only wished to learn more about humans, and to find out who his real parents are. He only wanted to stick with Hitori.

"We will use them, too" , the girl answered.

The boy nodded. They were now on the same wavelength.

The only deal Noah trusted was the one he established with Hitori. He had to protect her, and she would teach him all about life. This did not change, as their fates were now intertwined like a hanging rope around a corpse's neck.

They won't choose a side, for now. They will start from scratch. They first must discover the whereabouts of each one of them, and that will lead them gradually to the truth. Meanwhile, Honoka will teach them to fight, so that when the time comes, they can defend themselves.

"You know this is a very vague plan, right? Do you even know where to start?" , Hitori asked, frowning.

Noah's eyes gleamed with sapphire. He turned his back on Hitori, walked to the door to open it. He made sure to hide the excitement in his words, but he wasn't sure he quite succeeded.

"No idea" , he said.