Chapter XXXIX: What Connects Us

"Hey, Typhon!" , I screamed with what was left of my hoarse voice. My throat ached with sobs that threatened to get out. "What do you want from me? Haven't you done enough to us? Just let me go!"

The wind blew around me as the only reply, slapping me in the face with my loose hair.

"Typhon!" , I screamed some more, in vain. "Anybody?" , I squealed, and my voice broke into choked sobs. Here I was, from a death threat to a kidnapping, alone again. That's when it occurred to me, the unbearable, unmistakable truth.

If I ever went missing, no one would notice. If I ever went missing, I would be forgotten. Aoki-sensei doesn't care about me anymore. Haru is dead, by my own hands. Maya hates me.

I hid my face in my palms, sat on my knees and wept, in the middle of a green field, a neverending wind, and a dead sun. My hands slid to my hair as I lowered my face, hiding from the world that abandoned me, that classified me as a freak, a monster, an abomination. I grabbed some of my locks, squeezing harder and harder, my nails digging into the flesh of my palms, the pain lingering, proof that I was still alive.

Despite being a monster, I was still alive. Did I really deserve it?

Perhaps there is a reason why everyone abandoned me. My father was a monster too. The only thing I'm sure I inherited from him.

What have you even done? Played a damsel in distress?

Michael's words echoed inside me like a life sentence, a prophecy.

"Noah..." , I whispered to no one in particular. "I'm sorry, Noah. I went ahead and got caught in Typhon's trap, all over again....I'm sorry, I'm sorry" , I repeated, over and over again, in between sobs.

"What are you sorry for?" , a male voice sounded, interrupting the toxic loop of my never ending thoughts. My heart nearly skidded to a stop, for I knew I was dreaming, by then. My head jerked up, and then, only then, my insides melted to steaming hot lava.

Our eyes connected. His face was inches away from mine as he knelt over me, watching me with ocean blue gleaming irises, reflecting all the warmth a real sun would never give.

"Noah?" , I asked, almost not believing my own eyes.

"Why are you crying?" , he asked without an ounce of hesitation. His face showed genuine concern.

"I--I thought---I thought this was a trap, made up by Typhon, and that... no one will come for me..."

"You called me, didn't you?" , a hint of urgency betrayed his gentle voice.

Who is the person you want to see most, right now?

The words the smartphone uttered came back to me in a flash. I've been a complete fool for not thinking about such a possibility.... My own self-centered anxiety took over me, making me forget about the reason why I turned the phone on in the first place.

Focus, Hitori. I bit my lower lip in shame.

This phone connects people not only in sound, but also in real time, in a place no one else can access. A parallel world made only for us. Which means that...we were now both safe.

Judging from a past experience, our bodies were present here too, just as our minds were.

I stood up straighter, wiping my tears with the hem of my shirt.

That's when I felt Noah's cold hands touch my throat, his fingers brushing against my throat. I closed my eyes, stiffened, while heat rose to my cheeks.

"What is this?" , anger, scarlet replacing the peaceful blue color of the sea.

I put my hands where his were, only to feel dried blood on the small wound Michael inflicted with the tip of his sword on my neck.