Chapter LXII: A Meticulous Plan

It wasn't the first time humans killed each other. It wasn't the last time either.

In countless stories, Noah has heard that the seconds before you die, your whole life flashes in your eyes, from the moment you were born until the moment death embraces you in their arms, sending you back where you belonged.

Noah felt exactly like a dying person, only it wasn't his life he kept seeing, it was hundreds of other human beings. The immense flood of information imprisoned itself inside his brain, telling him the secrets of the universe he never asked to hear.

Babies. Infants. Teenagers. Adults. Oldies. Joy, hope, sadness, loss, grief, jealousy, apathy, anger, frustration, fear, love, hatred, forgiveness. Mothers' wombs, parents' welcoming arms, Kindergarten's endless adventures, Boring school life, Mundane work, the unchanging four walls of home, then the darkness of one's grave.

Noah witnessed them all.

Along with wars. Lots and lots of wars. Heads rolling, chests opening, limbs detaching from bodies, blood spilling.

Every time, the world ends with humans sacrificing each other. Every time, the Oracles made more humans, hoping that the next generations will be better. Afterwards, Noah learned that the Oracles, with every reincarnation of the Earth, they spilled some of their essence like seeds, wishing that the seeds would turn into beautiful, perfect flowers. Unfortunately, the flowers always ended up withering and dying, leaving nothing but ashes behind.

The Oracles never gave up. In order to achieve a perfect humanity, they had to sacrifice a part of themselves.

However, there was a fact Noah had never realized before. A question he had never bothered to ask himself.

Why were the Oracles so desperate to create the perfect humans?

Now that Typhon's knowledge had reached the boy, he knew the answer.

They were desperate, because they were dying.

They weren't truly gods. After all, gods don't die. Gods don't need essence to live.

The Oracles, Noah realized, were running out of essence.

They had one last shot before the reincarnation process stops, and they end up disappearing before they could fulfill their dream.

So they created higher quality humans. Death was such a pain, so they decided to end it. The humans would die, but they would automatically reincarnate into angels or demons. If you were good in your mortal life, you become an angel, whispering good deeds to humans so that they, too, could follow your lead. If you were a bad human, you were meant to be a demon, spreading evil and corruption on Earth.

Why didn't they make everyone into angels? Noah wondered, and the answer came to him like it always does.

Because they couldn't. Humans were their creations, but they were beings on their own. Their decisions belonged to them. All the Oracles could do was prevent some of them from turning evil by sending angels their way, like guardians looking over the naughty ones.

Of course, demons had to be taken care of. The Oracles couldn't directly interfere, so they had to create a weapon to destroy them.

That weapon was Noah.

Shortly after Lailah, the angel queen, gave birth to Noah by the Oracles' orders of course, a war between the so-called immortal creatures happened. Inter-species marriages, as the Oracles wanted them to believe, was forbidden. Both sides weren't technically right, they both broke the rules set for them, but there had to be a reason to fight.