Chapter LXVII: Memories

There was the smell of cookies.

The man remembered it like it was yesterday.

He walked down an empty street. It was late afternoon, and the sky above was gray, announcing imminent rain.

He wasn't sure how he got here. Lately, his memory was hazy. He only knew his name. Belleth. Just Belleth.

He once found himself in an abandoned train station, sitting on a torn chair inside a broken train that stopped working long ago.

He walked back to the only place he remembered: his home.

The door was open, the floor was dusty, the sofas were covered in white sheets, as if the owner, himself in this case, had abandoned the place and fled, a long time ago.

His brain was foggy, like his memories were badly erased by someone, forgetting to give him back his sanity.

Ever since then, he wandered around Tokyo, looking for the part of himself he had forgotten.

Until he met her.

She was selling cookies in a park whose name he forgot.

Her hair was too long for her height. Straight and pitch black, like silk. Her eyes were brighter and warmer than the sun, her radiant smile, despite no one around to buy her cookies, gave him a warmth he had always wished for, without even realizing it.

With his tattered jeans and torn shirt, he approached her. Just in time, his stomach made a loud growl.

She looked at him, and he blushed from embarrassment. The audible sounds of his stomach made her giggle, and Belleth thought it was the best sound in the world.

"I was going to say that I wanted a cookie, but my stomach was faster." , he said.

She giggled some more.

"It's okay. I am honored that your stomach chose my cookies. Did you know you're my very first customer?"

A sad smile drew itself on Belleth's face.

"But I don't have any money..."

The girl wasn't surprised, but she didn't show him a single sign of disrespect. She simply smiled.

"It's okay. It's my treat, this time. I hope to grow more so that more customers come. I hope you grow too, so that the next time I see you, you won't have such a sad look on your face. Be safe, okay?"

It was like she saw right through him.

The cookies were burned.

But to Belleth, they tasted like heaven.

"My name is Belleth" , he couldn't help but say.

"Belleth" , she repeated. "Welcome, my very first customer! Come again, will you? I'll be glad to serve you more cookies."