Chapter LXVI: Belleth's Death

When Noah suggested his idea to Hitori, he omitted one crucial thing.

A secret he was to keep from her, for as long as he lived.

She would find out, eventually, and she would hate him a little. He decided to deal with it when it comes.

When the newborn demon king opened his eyes, he knew he was in Belleth's chambers. The illusion of his old home had long disappeared. He found himself looking at a pitch black ceiling, lit by a huge chandelier.

He rose from the blood-red bed, finding none other but Belleth sitting on a chair, a closed book on his knees, an excited look in his eyes. As he saw Noah, he smirked, his teeth revealed by two fangs, digging through his lower lip, not inflicting a single wound despite its sharpness.

"My King" , Belleth hissed. "I have been waiting for this day"

The king fell to one knee, his eyes closed, his head lowered in respect.

"Master" , he started. "I am forever grateful for this power you have given me, and I shall grant every wish of yours. They shall be my absolute orders."

"Noah, My King. Our goals match, our wishes are the same. I can only ask for one thing."

The boy rose to his feet, now directly gazing at the demon. He felt the power surge through him. He knew, from his calm heartbeats, that he could now easily beat Belleth, if he wanted to. The Oracles' essence healed every cell of his body, giving him the power he needed to protect everyone.

"I ask you to give me your body. We shall be one, and we shall conquer the world together. From the moment you were born, we were destined to merge, our minds being the same, our bodies apart."

"Belleth", Noah said. "I think you made a big mistake letting me out into the world, and an even bigger one when you allowed Hitori to be born."

The king's words erased that smirk off the demon's face. For the first time since Noah knew Belleth, the latter looked puzzled, confused.

"How do you still remember her? Who— Who messed with your brain while you were asleep?"

"The Oracles, of course."

Belleth, as expected, didn't waste a single second. He took out his sword.

"This was bound to happen." , He muttered. "If you won't give me your essence, I will get it myself"

He charged.

But Noah knew where the blow was going, so he dodged. He kept dancing with the demons, avoiding every strike. His new power made him a great fighter, seeing two seconds into the future.

When Belleth was sweating, panting, out of breath, Noah stretched out his hand, summoning a single, fabric-made doll. Instead of eyes, it had two red buttons. Its mouth was sewn with black thread. The smile it had was so wide it looked forced, stretched from one extremity of the head to the other.

"This is the Voodoo Doll I used to be. A shadow of you. A being always hungry for power, longing for more, never satisfied. A lonely king, trusting no one but himself. When Hitori came to my life, she saved me. I know you must have forgotten, but your wife saved you too, when all you had in mind was murder. That's why you fell for her, right? Because she brought out the best of you.

"Because you aren't just cruel and scary, Belleth. You, too, once had a heart."

A small dagger materialized in Noah's other hand.

"Just like Hitori made a human out of me, a lifeless doll, I am going to make the doll into the kind human he used to be."

Voodoo Spirits, hear my plea

For once again, I become one of thea

A master and a doll

A tool to bring their fall

I have seen the light

I have ceased to fight

I have lost my thread

and my wings had spread

One last time, grant me thy power

One last time, give me a flower

To plant in a garden

To carry a burden

To end this man's life

So he returns to his wife.

Noah didn't hesitate.

He squeezed the dagger more tight in his palm, then stabbed the voodoo doll in the heart.