Chapter LIV: A Visit

We couldn't believe what our brains were trying to tell us.

There's no concept called Death in this world. We have all been lied to, like children who did not do their homework and were made to believe a monster was coming for them if they didn't obey their parents. The image is so vivid in my mind, the comparison as close to the truth as one can be. I wondered, who was playing the role of the threatening parents in this story ? Who exactly lied to us this way?

I had the answer. For the first time since our trip to the past began, I knew something my father didn't. I tried not to think about the words. I tried not to conjure the image of the person who raised me in my mind. Yet, her serene face instantly materialized, her calming voice and firm words, her long blue dress she loved to wear so often, her chocolate-colored bobbed haircut, her white-as-snow eyes, looking deep inside your soul, as if she knew your origins before your very own conception.

Cassiel-obaa-chan. One of the Oracles.

Who else could have enough authority in this universe to lie to all living creatures, including the immortal ones ?

I was suddenly seized with an unfamiliar feeling of disgust. Disgust for this world, disgust for the people we met so far, disgust for the purpose of my existence.

I felt Noah's emotions in perfect sync with mine. I did not need to look at him to notice that he cupped his head in his hands, a million screws were turning inside his mind, considering the possibilities. I did not have a single word to tell my lover, so I turned to my father, watching his every move.

Panic instantly seized me. My heart contracted in my chest over and over, sending massive waves of pain that made me double over. I squeezed the fabric of my shirt in my chest area, like I could grab my heart to calm it down if only I could touch it. It didn't help.

The monster was getting excited, and it made my blood boil and my insides wish to melt down, wither and die.

An inhumane smirk materialized on his face, devouring its lower half, slitting his cheeks right up to his ears. Belleth knew there was more in this story than we were witnessing with our own eyes.

And he won't rest assured until he discovers it all.

"So there is a way around the gates" , he said out loud, thinking to himself.

I could almost see the neurons stretching their thin arms to link to each other inside the demon's brain, and as he held his chin in his right hand, sat cross legged on the fluffy clouds and watched the newborn angel fly in repetitive directions like a dying bug, he began to form the closest thing to the truth in his mind.

A war between angels and demons broke because of some stupid agreement on not marrying humans, an agreement that now seemed to Belleth like absolute, clear bullshit. The demons were the ones that broke it first, but they got all worked up because the Queen of angels wasn't one to talk. She had already given birth to Noah, a half-angel from a human father named a certain Kai. Considering there has always been a grudge between both parties, their principles being complete opposites, they agreed not to agree, and they decided to fight each other until only one 'race' remained. They were immortal, yes, but was there a limit to immortality, like a really long age that was bound to end, at some point? Can an immortal actually kill another? Those were the questions both parties asked themselves. Belleth guesses they wanted to find out themselves through fighting until eternity chose to end itself. They descended on Earth, a neutral territory, and fought and fought. The demons loved to fight, so they were gaining ground over angels, the latters getting constantly tired or disabled that they needed a fixed amount of time to heal and get back in the frontlines again.