Chapter XXXVI: Another Betrayal

Michael has known things weren't completely under control since the day he found out the boy was very much alive. He had done his best to comfort his Queen during all those years Noah was presumably dead. All in hope that she might forget him.

He was so close, so close to fulfilling his dream. Until Noah showed up, his essence was sensed by all angels in Heavens.

And now, he had to deal with his girlfriend, this Hitori the Oracles seemed to like so much.

"What is the meaning of this, Cassiel-obaa-chan?", the girl asked her protector, struggling to keep her voice from breaking, lest her words become another gibberish, just like her own existence.

Cassiel only shrugged. Her eyes had a sort of energy in them, the kind that constantly moved the waters of a river, turning it into waterfalls hitting the bottom of a hill, disrupting the peace that had always existed within the world.

"Fifteen years ago, I was given this letter by a man who knocked on my door, carrying an infant in his arms, begging for me to protect her. He ordered me to only give you this letter when you came back, looking for answers."

"What does the letter say?" Michael looked back at the girl, hoping that she would give him the piece of paper immediately.

Hitori only ignored him. She covered her face with both palms as she sank further inside the soft cushions of the sofa. The letter remained crumbled in her right hand.

"What...what in the world are we dealing with? What am I supposed to do now?" , she muttered to herself. Her voice has already broken, sobs escaped from her painful throat in turns as she gasped, struggling to keep her tears from showing.

This only amplified the curiosity of the angel, and worsened his patience.

"Hitori-chan" , he hissed. "Give me the letter. I can't help you if I don't know what's in it." Michael forced a smile as he stood up. He stretched out his left hand in front of the sobbing girl, waiting for her response.

He thought he heard her mutter the boy's name, but it must have been his imagination, because what she did next was so stupid that Michael had no doubt the idea came from her own excuse of a brain.

She tore the letter to bits, angrily. She kept cutting those paper pieces, over and over again, over and over, until no more. She then stood up, disappeared into the adjacent room. He heard a loud noise next, that of a box being shut violently.

She was empty-handed when she came back. She didn't sit, she didn't move another finger. She only looked at Michael defiantly, as if challenging him to a duel she knew she would never win. Her eyes gleamed with honey turning into hard gold. Her tears were only starting to dry up, and her face erased every trace of despair in it. She only grimaced and said, looking at Michael straight in his blackened eyes:

"Don't think coming here with me to protect me made me trust you more, because it didn't. My loyalty lies with Noah, and Noah alone."

Michael didn't know how utterly funny this girl could be. He chuckled so hard he had to double over, sitting back on the sofa. He even teared up a bit.

"What's so funny?" , Hitori said.

As the captain of the Royal Guard just barely managed to calm himself down, he lifted a hand before his face. A white sword with a scarlet hilt, glimmering with rubies and shining with small emeralds stuck to its blade materialized inside his palm. He closed his eyes, focusing a part of his essence in his weapon, the remaining part going to his core and to his now stretched white wings. He grew in size, reverting back to his angel body, and he felt the weakness of the human leave him, making way to the good old strength of an angel warrior.