Chapter LXIV: Dilemma

"So you're telling me" , Noah repeated. "That the Oracles will send Michael, the traitor, to retrieve the necklace that ended everything in the past, and to destroy it, so the world would start over?"

Typhon nodded. His face was now empty of amusement. His lips pursed, hiding under his thick black mustache and his triangular shaped beard.

They were all back in the smartphone's world, that endless green grass and cloudless sky, a view Noah was starting to hate.

They all sat cross-legged, facing each other, as if they were children in a very important meeting to decide who was to use the swing first.

Noah could have been amused by this random thought, if only he wasn't about to be faced with a decision he never asked to make.

"When the necklace breaks, it doesn't simply open the gates. The three worlds will collide. There will no longer be heavens, Core and Earth. I will spare you the details of the near future." , Typhon declared.

The boy could feel Hitori's shivers traverse his whole body.

"And we must prevent that from happening" , she said, half asking, half addressing herself.

The Demon-slash-Oracle nodded.

"Everyone will die, including us, the ones who were responsible for this. Even if you two were to officially meet again in the battlefield, a second condition must be fulfilled: The three worlds must turn into one, and only then the Oracles' last essence, residing in you, will activate."

"The Last Purge" , Hitori whispered, and her words chilled Noah to the bone.

"As I have already said, only the last Adam and Eve will survive the end of the worlds. Then you will have to live" Typhon spread his arms. "Here"

Noah frowned. The idea of getting revenge on all those who abandoned him didn't sound so bad. But what about the few who didn't? What about Lailah, whom, despite her impulsive behavior, only had Noah in her mind, her actions being only driven by her love? What about his demon mother, who loved him like her own son, providing everything he asked for, sheltering him from the harshness of his father, all through these sixteen years ?

If Noah had been suggested this idea before meeting Hitori, he would have had an immediate yes, as an answer. Erase everyone and build a new era where he would be king.

Now? He thought nothing of it. The girl he loved taught him how to be grateful, how to love back. How to treasure his own life, no matter how sad it sounds.

He looked at Hitori, who seemed deep in thought. She, too, was thinking of her family. Her friends at the Orphanage, her caretaker, Cassiel, who turned out to be a good Oracle, because she was influenced by Hitori's love. She must have thought of Aoki too, who never really kicked her out for all those years, despite the fact that she hated her for so long.

The world did not really abandon them. Some people did, and that's exactly why they grew stronger, that's exactly why they met, that's exactly why they were having these very same thoughts right now.

The world deserved better than to end.

"Ending the world also means ending the misery happening all over it.", Typhon said. He turned his index finger in a circle, over and over again until Noah had to divert his eyes from it, because it made his head spin. "Ending the deaths that keep increasing by number everyday. Ending the suffering of other small children, abandoned by their families, sold off to some cruel men to earn money without effort. et cetera."

"You're telling us to choose between regaining our peaceful normal lives and becoming the heroes who will create a better humanity, by ending the misery of the previous one." Noah pointed accusingly at the demon.