Chapter XXXIII: Inside the Glass House

Cassiel-obaa-chan stood glamorous in her white robes, her opal irises gleaming in the middle of the living room that greeted the front door, casting a light like no other, more fluorescent than the moon, more welcoming than a mother's love. Her mere sight warmed my heart, sending a wave of nostalgia down my shivering spine.

I lost it the moment she held me in her arms. Tears were already overflowing, tears of joy, tears of longing for the innocent days, tears of fear of those who lurk in the shadows, waiting for us to be vulnerable, only to erase our existence from this world.

"There, there, my child, cry all you want. Do not let your own feelings consume you. "

The events of the previous week overflowed my mind, the way a river broke into a waterfall, drowning everything in its trail. Noah's encounter, Haru's ghost in the forest, Honoka's traumatizing kiss, Aoki-sensei's betrayal, and finally, the trial inside Typhon's smartphone.

The one experience that broke me into pieces, then mended them again with a link stronger than any I have ever known.

I could feel Michael's gaze behind me, alas, I did not know what he was thinking.

After what felt like an everlasting whail, after the tears have dried and the chains of fear that bound my heart loosened up a bit, I collected myself, wiping my face with clean sheets I had bought on the way, for I knew I wouldn't last long in the sight of my Obaa-chan.

I turned around, only to notice the unmistakable hint of recognition showing crystal clear on the male angel's face.

Silence soon greeted us on the threshold of the glassy house. Cassiel-obaa-chan looked back at Michael, the same expression on her own face.

I had so many questions.

"Do you... Do you guys know each other? " , I started, unsure of what else to say.

Michael nodded.

"I used to, and I thought she wouldn't remember me... But you do remember, don't you, Cassiel?" His white eyes turned into slits as he narrowed them, fixing the woman with a look that tried to uncover whatever truths she was hiding.

However, Obaa-chan did not waver before the suspicious angel. I did not know what was going on, and neither did any of us, for they both kept staring at each other without saying a word. Michael seemed confused about the whole situation, while Cassiel's eyes radiated pure innocence.

I made a mental note to share this discovery with Noah. He, of all people, could find a meaning behind unspoken words.

"Shall we come in? " , Obaa-chan suggested.

I had no more comments, so I walked inside, finding the nearest couch to sit in. The angel followed suit.

The living room was all white from the inside, just like I last remembered it. Four sofas in total circled a round glass-made table. On the table was the one instrument I never thought I would find: Cassiel-Obaa-chan's personal violin, the very same one she used to play whenever I came here, showing me all kinds of melodies from different worlds, teaching me the secret notes that could dominate the entire universe, once played accordingly.

"Would you like something to drink?" , she asked us. She stood behind the door, her palms on her hips, her smile wide on her face, her dreamy lost expression as clear as day.Yet, her eyes were as awake as a predator's.

We both shook our heads, so she shrugged and sat down, arms crossed, waiting for the fateful conversation to start.

"What can I help you with?" Cassiel asked with a serene voice. She was looking at Michael, whose teeth were gritted, whose face contorted with anger.