Chapter XXVII: Closer to Death Than Life

/!\ TRIGGER WARNING: Mention of Violence and Gore /!\

I barely had time to snap myself out of the shock and dodge Noah's strike.

I stepped quickly to the side, my foot accidently tripping over another, sending me crashing to the floor. Noah froze, looking up and down, right and left, as though a robot seeking his target.

A cold chill ran down my spine as I watched him find me with his mud-stained eyes, turn his whole body towards me, and jump at my led-body.

He was too fast.

The silver dagger stopped inches away from my face, as I struggled with holding the boy's forearms in my palms, fighting a tremendous force I never knew Noah had.

"Noah, what are you doing?!" I hissed, jaw clenched with the effort of keeping myself from dying.

Strangely enough, what scared me wasn't the weapon, now grazing my cheek, making a trickle of blood run down my chin, nor was it the fact that I was gradually losing my strength, letting the boy on top of me win his way to my nearly-dead body, taking over me, restraining me like a disobedient animal.

It was the look in Noah's eyes.

Pure, unwavering, endless darkness. He stared at something beyond me, something I could not grasp, something that, judging from the contorted face and the grimace twisting Noah's lips, was a sight no human ever wanted to witness.

And I knew, in that split moment between life and death, before Noah's final blow, the real purpose of this place.

I understood the reason for the shore made out of human remains, for the pitch black lake that made your head spin and your heart swell in your chest, full of the emotions you spent your life running away from.

A sickening game. A simulation, whatever that demon called it. A place that made one go mad with visions worse than the sight of death, repeated over and over again.

Mine were the skeleton mermaids, messing with my brain, making me question every belief I had, turning me into a greedy human being wearing the mask of a savior.

I had no idea about Noah's vision, but I could tell.

I could tell he was going through a pain so unbearable it can not be endured, so unbearable he had turned back into what he was made to become: A heartless serial killer, taking revenge on the world for hurting him.

Including myself.

That was the only explanation.

Yes, Noah was himself, and I could not blame him for killing me. I did not feel pain when the knife struck my heart, I did not feel fear when I opened my lids once again after shutting them, then stared at Noah with blurry eyes full of tears I did not know the reason for.

The boy's irises were gleaming with a color I thought I would not see again, a color so familiar it took me by surprise.

Ocean blue.

The color of my dyed hair.

I felt something fall on my right cheek, and heard a tick tick tick , reminding me of the very first drops of rain falling on the concrete houses in my old city, announcing the beginning of a storm.

And I realized how blind I was.

For I had not noticed the fact that Noah's face, right above mine, was a whole mess of tears.

I looked down on my chest.

A flower of dawn, tainted scarlet red, was blooming on my black shirt, darkening it even more. I was regaining my senses as I felt my skin wet with my own blood.