𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞|Nightmare

"River, you need to get out of here

"River, you need to get out of here." My mother said, ushering me out my bedroom door.

I was half asleep so I didn't know what was going on or why she was in my room in the middle of the night.

"What are you talking about ma?" I mumbled, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"River! Now!" She said, dragging me out the door by my arm.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as we approached the front door, where my father was standing with a worried expression.

"Papa? What's going on?" I asked him, my voice breaking slightly.

"We can't explain it now, mija. We need to get you out of here first." He said, kissing my forehead and opening the front door.

"Wha-" I was cut off when my mother suddenly rushed me outside of our security gates.

"I will be back soon, sweetheart. I love you, okay?" She said, cupping my cheeks. Tears glassed her eyes and my heart dropped at the sight.

She will be back soon. Why not now?

"Ma, what are you talking about?" I asked, gripping onto her like I didn't ever want to let her go. And I didn't. I don't know when I'll see her again. Will I even see her again?

"Stay here." She said, leaving a long kiss on my forehead before she released me and ran back to the house.

My body was screaming at me to go after her but mind was telling me to stay put. I listened to my mind because it was thinking rationally.

My mother told me to stay here for a reason. And I'll listen. No matter how hard my heart is pounding right now.

The night was silent. Almost too silent. Like a ticking time bomb waiting to explode.

This type of silence wasn't the peaceful kind. It was more of the unsettling one.

Somethings wrong.

A loud explosion erupted into the night sky so I looked up. My eyes widened at the sight of my own house set on fire. Orange flames shot into the air and smoke lingered after it.

Panic. Panic settled deep inside of me, gripping me in its hostage. There was no escape from the panic I was feeling.

Open your eyes.

My parents are in that building.

"Ma! Papa!" My sixteen year old self yelled out to them, desperation dripped my voice. I pleaded and pleaded for them to come out but they never did.