Chapter Three.

The party sat silently, waiting for Arthur to light the candles. He, however, was very fascinated with Tonks' lighter. There were other fascinated faces, but most people were simply waiting, their moods too good to be annoyed.

"Arthur, dear," Molly finally said. "You're supposed to light the candles..." She had the fondest of smiles for her husband.

"Simply brilliant, Molly," Arthur exclaimed. "Matches first and now these! Muggles are so smart, aren't they?"

"Well, I suppose they'd have to be without magic," Molly mused.

"How do they work, (Y/n)?" Arthur asked.

"Um..." (Y/n) murmured. "The little wheel acts as a... lock, you might say. You can't press down on the button... thing without turning it. When you push down on the button, you're creating pressure. Depending on the lighter, there's fluid or gas in the... tube, I guess. When you push down on the button and create the pressure, you're also releasing the fluid or gas— usually butane gas— and the torch inside the lighter creates the flame you're seeing... It'd be easier to show a diagram of the inside, but I don't have paper... or a pen..."

"Fascinating!" Arthur exclaimed. (Y/n) nodded.

"How do you know all that?" Tonks mumbled.

"She's a science kid, Dora," Penny teased.

"Only the engineering bit," (Y/n) smiled. Penny's eyebrows furrowed.

"Potions, technically speaking, is chemistry," she said. "And Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures, essentially, is biology."

"What's that make the other subjects?" Tonks hummed.

"History of Magic is History, I guess," Penny said. "Transfiguration and Alchemy are Science. Muggle Studies is kind of English... I feel like that's really pushing it, though... Study of Ancient Runes would be a better fit for English, but you aren't learning grammar and stuff like that now, are you? Arithmancy's math. They really don't teach us that kind of stuff, huh? I doubt a single person here can name all six of Henry the Eighth's wives."

"Catherine—"

"You don't count, (Y/n)."
(Y/n) pouted. She watched as Arthur finally got around to lighting the candles along the circumference of the cake.

"I don't understand why I'm getting a party this year," (Y/n) mumbled. "What's so special about sixteen?"

"You can drive," Tonks answered.

"That's worth throwing a party over?"

"This could be the last birthday we're able to celebrate for all we know," Molly said. (Y/n) hummed and nodded her head as Arthur stepped back, admiring the candles and the actual cake. Molly must've put a lot of effort into it. It had pink frosting with rainbows along the side. There was the head and neck in addition to the paw of a Cheer Bear and in front of her was small ballons. White frosting bordered the bottom and top of the cake, holding the candles and a small sign reading Happy Birthday. Maraschino cherries were also in the ring of white frosting. Childish, yes. But (Y/n) absolutely loved the Care Bears and didn't mind. 
Molly had accounted for there being sixteen people present and there was an equally as grand cake with a 16 candle being lit by Arthur. The second cake was coated in green (what (Y/n) assumed to be) matcha, giving a rather grassy effect. There were strawberries eight strawberries and dollops of either whipped cream or frosting, (Y/n) couldn't tell. Either way, both cakes looked delicious.
(Y/n) hoped she wasn't grimacing as the party started singing the tune of Happy Birthday. She grinned rather awkwardly, wanting to go to her room and curl up now more than ever. Fred and George were the last to finish the tune, dragging out the last 'you' a tad too long for (Y/n)'s liking and with far too many rifts.