Chapter Fifty-Eight.

"So... he's abandoned us," (Y/n) concluded relaying the news of what happened the previous night to Mattheo.

"He has, hasn't he?" Mattheo frowned. "And now we've all got lines twice a week through the end of the year because Edgecomb ratted us out..." 

"Well, I mean it's not as if she owes us anything," (Y/n) said defensively. She could very much see where Marietta's fear had originated. "If you were forced to join a club that your friend forced you in, who are you going to choose: a room full of people who haven't tried to befriend you or... your family?" Mattheo gave (Y/n) a look. "Oh, come on. Your parents might not be the greatest, but Andy and Ted are, I'm sure?"

"They are," Mattheo nodded. "But I've also got friends in the D.A. so it'd be them or... my aunt."

"That's fair," (Y/n) murmured. "I honestly don't know who I'd choose if it came down to it..." She watched as a group of four girls rounded the corner of the almost empty corridor she and Mattheo were in. The girls stopped in their tracks, squeaked, and turned back the way they came.
"Mattheo?" (Y/n) asked quietly, slowing down her stride. She paused as people threw wary looks in Mattheo's direction, keeping their distance.

"Yeah?"

"We've got quite an advantage, don't you think?" (Y/n) asked. Mattheo rose an eyebrow. "I'm right at the centre of Dumbledore's crew," she began, "and your father would be all too willing to welcome you back into his arms."

"You... want me to get information from the Death Eaters so you can give it to Dumbledore's side?"

"No," (Y/n) instantly said, looking quite dismayed at the suggestion. "That's Regulus's and Snape's job... What I want is an advantage. I know that the wizarding world is never going to be perfect, no matter who is in control. Dumbledore can't give me that and neither can Lord Voldemort. If I want to see change, I have to do it myself. And how am I going to do that without getting an advantage on both sides?
"Dumbledore's lied to my face and he's lied to people I consider family," (Y/n) said. "He's manipulated people to bend to his interests. I wouldn't follow him even if he was the last wizard on the earth. They may all hate me for not bending willingly, but it'll be my doing from keeping them and their families and friends from dying."

"I can't say I ever thought that you'd go down this path," Mattheo smirked.

"What path?"

"Villainous? Anti-hero?" Mattheo said.

"Is that what you want to call it?" (Y/n) smiled.

"Is that what you want to call it?" Mattheo retorted.

"No," (Y/n) said simply. "I reckon I'll be doing more good than I will evil, even if my path might be considered dark, I know where it's going. I'll take what I deserve, thank you very much."

"You really should've been a Slytherin," Mattheo said, a soft smile on his face.

"Maybe," (Y/n) smiled. "Have a think about it, won't you? I don't want you going into something this dangerous, but you're the only man I know capable of the job... And I can't really do it myself, could I?"

"I guess not," Mattheo murmured. He stared at (Y/n) for a moment. "It really scares me, the lengths I'd go for you."

"For me or the cause?" (Y/n) asked teasingly.

"For you," Mattheo said and (Y/n)'s smile dropped.

"No. No, Mattheo," (Y/n) shook her head. "You deserve better than what I can give."

"But I don't want better," Mattheo said. (Y/n) shook her head and backed away, immediately accepting the excuse of Fred and George hollering for her to come and watch their show.