Chapter Twenty-Five.

"Miss (Y/l/n), take those things off in the Great Hall," Professor Umbridge said as she passed between the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff table.

"She's got the headmaster's permission, Professor," Cedric called from the Hufflepuff table. (Y/n) sent him a stern look as she took off her headphones, resting them around her neck. Even with all the noise of the Great Hall, Cho and Padma could still hear the music blasting from (Y/n)'s headphones.

"Then you can tell Professor Dumbledore to tell me personally," Umbridge said, smiling widely as though challenging (Y/n) to go straight to the headmaster.

"Why don't you go and ask him?" Cho protested. Marietta gave her a wide-eyed look and (Y/n) silently told her to keep quiet. "He's at the head table." Umbridge stared coldly at Cho.

"Five points from Ravenclaw," Umbridge said simply. She walked forward to the head table with her hands clasped behind her.

"Finally comes down to breakfast and she's instantly scolded," Padma complained. "Why'd you listen?" she asked.

"I'm not," (Y/n) said. She tilted her head back and made eye contact with Umbridge before slipping back on her headphones. When Umbridge stood up to reprimand (Y/n), Professor McGonagall questioned her, asking why she would be getting up in the middle of breakfast and making a scene. (Y/n) couldn't help but smirk at Umbridge's answer. She was quick to feign innocence and return to her breakfast the moment several of the staff's heads turned her way. She smeared cream cheese on one side of her bagel and raspberry jelly on the other.

"What're they saying?" Cho grinned.

"They're just confirming that I do have permission," (Y/n) said. "And Umbridge is all pissy about Dumbledore giving 'special attention' to specific students." Cho and Padma snickered but Marietta pursed her lips.

"He does do that though, doesn't he?" Marietta asked.

"Oh, definitely," (Y/n) said, nodding. "But most of Dumbledore's special attention does not apply to school itself."

"Um, hello? He gives Gryffindor hundreds of points at the end of every year," Marietta stated. "At least Slytherin earned their points— not fairly, but not through free handouts either."

"Can't deny that," (Y/n) sighed.

"I don't understand why we have to work so hard when everyone in Gryffindor gets House points without raising a finger," Marietta frowned.

"This year!" Cho said positively. "This year, we'll win the House cup— maybe even the Quidditch cup while we're at it."

"Are any of the cups all that important?" Padma asked, looking quite unfazed. "I mean, saying your House won the House cup back in '96 isn't going to do much of anything on any job applications." Marietta shrugged.

"Wouldn't it be nice to win something for once, though? Earning it?"

"Yeah, I guess..."

"On the bright side, you being there or not really doesn't affect the team," (Y/n) said in what she hoped to be a comforting tone to Harry, who was moping over the fact that Angelina had told him off for being unable to make tryouts. "They're looking for a Keeper, something entirely unrelated to a Seeker. Tell Angelina that."

"She won't listen to me even if I told her that," Harry huffed. "You tell her."

"If I did that, I would 'accidentally' insult your position, Harry," (Y/n) said simply. Harry rose an eyebrow, questioning her. "I mean... having an independent position in any sports setting is kind of useless. Especially if their position could win the team one-hundred-and-fifty points. Don't get me wrong, the Seeker makes the game interesting, but it's crazy that one catch of that tiny Snitch entirely changes the game."