Chapter Thirteen.

Arthur, Molly, Sirius, Remus, Lily, James, (Y/n), and Tonks looked up as Harry walked quietly down the stairs leading into the kitchen. All were dressed except Molly, who was wearing a quilted purple dressing gown and (Y/n) still had a hair roller in her bangs. Molly leapt to her feet the moment he entered.

"Breakfast," she said as she pulled out her wand and hurried over to the fire.

"M-m-morning, Harry," yawned Tonks. Their hair was blonde and curly this morning. "Sleep all right?"

"Yeah," said Harry.

"I've b-b-been up all night," they said with another shuddering yawn. 

"Come and sit down..." James advised, drawing out a chair.

"What do you want, Harry?" Molly called. "Porridge? Muffins? Kippers? Bacon and eggs? Toast?"

"Just— just toast, thanks," said Harry.

Remus glanced at Harry, then said to Tonks, "What were you saying about Scrimgeour?"

"Oh... yeah... well, we need to be a bit more careful, he's been asking Kingsley and me funny questions..."
Harry felt vaguely grateful that he was not required to join in the conversation. His insides were squirming. Molly placed a couple of pieces of toast and marmalade in front of him; he tried to eat, but it was like chewing a carpet. Lily sat on his other side and started fussing with his T-shirt, tucking in the label and smoothing out creases across the shoulders. He wished she wouldn't.
"...and I'll have to tell Dumbledore I can't do night duty tomorrow, I'm just t-t-too tired," Tonks finished, yawning hugely again. (Y/n) unconsciously covered her yawn.

"I'll cover for you," said Arthur. "I'm okay, I've got a report to finish anyway..."
Arthur was not wearing wizard's robes but a pair of pinstriped trousers and an old bomber jacket. He turned from Tonks to Harry.
"How are you feeling?" Harry shrugged. "It'll all be over soon," said Arthur bracingly. "In a few hours' time, you'll be cleared." Harry said nothing. "The hearing's on my floor, in Amelia Bones' office. She's Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and she's the one who'll be questioning you."

"Amelia Bones is okay, Harry," said Tonks earnestly. "She's fair, she'll hear you out." Harry nodded, unable to say anything.

"Don't lose your temper," said Sirius abruptly. "Be polite and stick to the facts." Harry nodded again.

"The law's on your side," said Remus quietly. "Even underage wizards are allowed to use magic in life-threatening situations."

Something very cold trickled down Harry's neck; for a moment he thought someone was putting a Disillusionment Charm on him again, then he realized Molly was attacking his hair with a wet comb. She pressed hard on the top of his head.
"Doesn't it ever lie flat?" she said desperately.

"Afraid not," James murmured. "Look, Lils, his hair's already growing back from the monstrous haircut Petunia gave him..." Arthur checked his watch and looked up at Harry.

"I think we'll go now," he said. "We're a bit early, but I think you'll be better off there than hanging around here."

"Okay," said Harry automatically, dropping his toast and getting to his feet.

"You'll be all right, Harry," said Tonks, patting him on the arm.

"Good luck," said Remus. "I'm sure it will be fine."

"And if it's not," said Sirius grimly, "I'll see to Amelia Bones for you..." Harry smiled weakly and Molly hugged him.

"We've all got our fingers crossed," she said.

"Right," said Harry. He raised his eyebrows expectantly at (Y/n), who looked up as though feeling his stare.

"Get lost, loser," (Y/n) said.