Chapter Ten.

(Y/n) was still sadly looking at her nails when they reached the kitchen. Remus made sure she was standing upright before stepping away. (Y/n) abruptly moved behind the kitchen counter, feeling far safer with the distance.

"This is the witch handling your trial, Sirius?" a rather disgruntled person asked.

"And what of it?"

"She's a bit... young, don't you think?"

"That girl right there has been doing detective work for five years!" Sirius exclaimed.

"Five years? Really?"

"Well, not on just me..." Sirius added. "Either way, she's a real master-mind! President of her debate club! I have no doubts over her."
They all looked over at (Y/n), who had just burnt her finger in the water. She had turned it colder slightly, only to burn her finger again due to not waiting long enough. Exasperation crossed several faces, while others were trying not to laugh. This was the person meant to defend Sirius?
"Um... Next order of business," Sirius said, rather embarrassed. "Last night. For those who don't know," he broke into a short explanation of Ron's comment and the kids' horror. "And Arthur tells us it's been going on for about a year now."

"And she can hear the meetings?"

"Can you? Even with the Imperturbed Charm?" a witch asked. (Y/n) had zoned out by then. "Um... Hello?"

"(Y/n)!" Molly said, waving a hand in front of (Y/n)'s face. 

"I'm here," (Y/n) said, looking rather surprised. "What was the— What was the question?" she asked.

"...Can you hear our meetings?" (Y/n) averted her eyes.

"Will I be in trouble if I answer the question honestly?"

"Depends on the answer."

"Maybe," (Y/n) said. "I can maybe hear your meetings. Really depends on how I feel and whether or not I want to be in trouble."

"This is serious, girl!" Mad-Eye barked, making (Y/n) flinch and wear a very deer-in-headlights look, followed by a squeak. She anxiously clasped her hands in front of her.

"And I'll give serious answers once I know I won't be facing serious punishments!" (Y/n) frowned.

"Good luck," Sirius whispered, patting (Y/n)'s shoulder before leaving the room. (Y/n) glowered after him. She peered challengingly around the room before her eyes fell on Dumbledore and a rather helpless look crossed her face. For that mere moment, the shell of a sixteen-year-old girl was seen and not that of a girl forced to grow up early to meet others' expectations.

"Miss (Y/l/n)'s mind is open," Dumbledore finally said. "We tried closing it during the school year, but I'm sure we all are aware of last year's circumstances."

"No."

"No? Alastor was not present for most of the year. Barty Crouch Junior was in his place under Polyjuice Potion," Dumbledore explained briefly. "In other words, we don't know just how he could have messed with Miss (Y/l/n)'s mind."

"I wasn't aware anything could be wrong with my mind," (Y/n) said calmly. Dumbledore's eyes flickered above (Y/n).

"I don't suppose you think your mind has been clouded for no reason, do you?" Dumbledore asked. (Y/n)'s eyes flicked up.

"A physical cloud?" Lily asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Hm. I forget some people aren't as open-minded as others," Dumbledore hummed. (Y/n) snickered before coming to an abrupt halt.