XXXII

Jack's art was so loved that someone asked to pay him for it. He made a deal for $50,000 and that was only because Jack decided to be kind. He told me later on it was actually worth over 85 grand but he didn't think it was his best plus the guy was nice.
My only question was...how does his art even get better than that?

We were on our way to the exit after the gallery closed. It was 10:45 which meant we had time to spare.

"Are you hungry? I'm not very sure about the restaurants there are around here but if you have any ideas, I'm willing to try them out." he stated.
"What's something they have here that you don't typically have where you're from?" I asked him.
"Uhh...Flavor."
I laughed at him.
"I arrived here and ordered room service at my hotel, I don't think I've ever been happier."
"That's adorable." I snickered.
"Thank you, I try. The tea could be much better."
"Yea, we're more of a coffee people." I explained.
"So I've heard."
"You know what I'm feeling?" I asked.
"What's that?"
"Pizza."
"Pizza?"
"Yes. Pizza. Do you have pizza?"
He chuckled. "We do have pizza, yes."
"I think we should get pizza."
"Pizza it is."

We hopped in the car and he drove.

"Can I ask you a question?" I began.
"I don't see why not."
"When did you learn how to drive in America?"
"Ah. Around...four years ago? I've noticed how hard it is to hail a taxi here and honestly I was a bit tired of waiting in the cold so I had to learn. Especially because I was told there'd be a chance I'd have to come back."
"Have you only been here the two times?"
"Yes. The first was to judge an art show. But obviously I stayed for a license. Then I went back home and now we're here. But I think I'd like to make this a returning circumstance."
He held my hand.
I looked at it.
This felt so nice. A gentle date that wasn't expected to end in sex and had conversations I actually enjoyed taking part in.

"Are you alright?" he asked me.
"Hm? Oh. Yes, I'm fine."
He snickered. "If you say so."

My only struggle was...Jack spoke so eloquently. He always looked so...rich. What if one day he found out what I do and he turns his back on me? I don't talk as properly as he does. I talk better than the boys do but I'm not as well spoken as Jack is.
But Jack was so...neat. He wasn't rugged and harsh. His hair was always neatly done, he didn't have a tattoo on his neck or hands, he smelled amazing, his hands were gentle and unblemished, he didn't have any scars, he rarely cursed, he was...not what I was used to.
That isn't to say I've been with filthy unkempt men, it's just that some were...questionable.
Riot smelled really nice. He was always clean unless he'd just gotten in a fight. But he's aggressive, he's angry, he has scars everywhere, and he's covered in tattoos. He says a curse word at least once in every sentence he utters. He also has the vocab range of an eighth grader.
These two were polar opposites.

I actually liked it.

"Leila...I'm not exactly sure where I'm going, but we can drive in circles if you'd like." Jack said sweetly and interrupted my thoughts.
I laughed fondly at him. He's very cute. "You can take a right up there."
"Wonderful."

___________________________________

We sat inside and had a large pizza brought out and set in front of us.
"Oh, wow." Jack stated. "Thank you." he said to the waitress. She nodded and walked away.

"Tada!" I said happily.
"Well, it looks amazing but this is...extraordinarily large." he scoffed.
"Yes, that's the fun part."
He laughed then we both grabbed a large slice and set them on our plates.

"Can I ask you a question?"
"Cute of us to always ask for permission before our questions." I stated as I sprinkled Parmesan onto my pizza.
He chuckled. "Yes, I suppose it is."
"What's your question?"
"Your flatmates, what is the situation there?"
"I'm gonna assume that's equivalent to a roommate or else I'm going to feel stupid."
He laughed. "Yes, those two are interchangeable. Although you don't really live in a flat so I suppose just housemates is a better term."
"Yes, I think so. But anywho, they are my godbrothers. Obviously no blood relation but when my father died, I moved in with their father but they had already moved out of the house."
"Right..."
"When my godfather didn't think he'd be able to protect me as well as he wanted to (he's very over protective),"
"Must run in the family."
I snickered. "He sent me off to live with his sons and I've just been there ever since."
"Interesting story."
"Yes, thank you."

"Now can I ask you a question?"
"No." he stated and took a bite of his pizza.
I sat there with my mouth agape.
He wiped his mouth with his napkin as he laughed. "Go ahead, sweetheart." he permitted.
"I've heard that you eat beans for breakfast. Is that true?"
He laughed. "That is true, yea."
"Dear god..."
He laughed a bit louder.
I liked his laugh. It sounded so genuine and beautiful.

"What's a food you've tried here and didn't like?" I wondered.
"Uhh...Candy corn."
"That doesn't count! *We* don't even like candy corn!" I stated and we snickered together.
"Alright, then...I'd have to say...I don't really enjoy your little snack cakes with the crème filling inside. They had them on the set of the art show and it's just a lot of textures at once."
"Aww..." I snickered.
"I'm sure if I maybe removed the filling I'd enjoy it, my mouth just wasn't really expecting it."
That was a very open minded thing to say and I found it cute.
The boys just call whatever they don't like "shit" then insult its maker.

"Well, you're better than I am. I haven't ever tried a British snack." I stated and took another bite of my pizza.
"What, sorry?" he stated in shock.
I snickered. "I've never had your snacks. I have no clue what you guys eat other than beans for breakfast which I will...never...get over by the way."
He snickered. "That is unbelievable. You'd have to try at least something. I'd like to say they're pretty good. My nan used to keep a large bin full of different snacks when I was younger and I'm pretty positive that I'm a connoisseur."
I giggled at him. "I'll take your word for it."
"When you come into my studio here, I'll try to have a few waiting for you."
"Sounds great. Where's your studio?"
"Not a clue."
"What?!" I laughed.
"I rented it while I was still in England. I'm aware of what it looks like from pictures and a video chat but I haven't physically been there and don't have the address memorized."
"I find you very funny." I stated.
"Oh how kind of you. But I seriously have no idea where I'm going."
I laughed again.