Chapter 39

The students sat in Ooblecks class trying to focus on the alchemist as he zoomed through the class.

Oobleck: "By now everyone of you should be well versed in the way Vale is ruled. Can someone summarize?" Jaune hesitantly raised his hand. "AH mister Arc."

Jaune: "Well Vale is ruled by a King..." There was a moment of silence before Jaune took a deep breath. "But it is not just the King, who rules Vale, its Nobles as a whole."

Oobleck: "Perfect answer mister Arc. Now let us begin to talk about our closest ally, the Kingdom of Atlas. Up to 60 years ago it was still called Mantle but after a civil war it became the Atlas we now know today. Unlike Vale, Atlas is led by Soldiers and Magic Casters, with the head being General James Ironwood, also known as the Great Magus of the Iron Woods. There are a lot of localized legends surounding the general some of which we will look into a bit closer at a later date." Oobleck rattled of. "At this moment Atlas is considered Remnants most technologically advanced Kingdom. Thanks to the Artificiers and Scholars of Atlas all of Remnant gained new insights in the construction of Magic Items. However, unfortunetaly, Atlas is holding most of the construction plan as state secrets. I believe Mister Schwarz, as a Blacksmith, can tell us why they would do that."

Y/n: "If you are the only one who knows how to make something, you are the one deciding its value." Y/n said with the frown. "It does come with a problem though."

Oobleck: "Oh? Mind telling us?" The man genuinely sounded interested.

Y/n: "All it takes is the person who knows the building plan to die and the construction will be lost, possibly forever. Like for example, uptil a few days ago all information on the construction of Norse Longships had been lost with the extinction of the Norse. Those ships were considered the pinacle in sailing technology and were feared by all four Kingdoms, as they could easily be sailed or rowed up most rivers. If the Norse shipbuilders had made the plans instead of keeping them all only in their minds we would still have those longships today."

Oobleck: "Precisely mister Schwarz, there is no saying how much technology has been lost to time thanks to inventors fearing the theft of their ideas. Historians are still working hard, trying to recover lost scriptures from the time before the Great Fire." Oobleck continued his lesson about Atlas, going a bit into how the Academy of Atlas functions, mostly on how it is split into two big schools. The Atlas Army Academy and the Atlas Arcane Academy. What had chaught Y/ns attention however was a thought he got once he again thought about the way Atlas is run. Something clicked and once the class had ended Y/n stayed behind.

Y/n: "Doctor Oobleck, I have a question." He began gaining the mans attention. Looking up from his cluttered table filled with scrolls and different vials Oobleck turned his focus on his favorite student.

Oobleck: "I will do my best to answer it." The man said happily, knowing that Y/ns questions always were great fodder for thoughts and even research in some cases.

Y/n: "Well it had come to my attention that ever since the Norse culture died out, so did the Classes linked to the Norse, with some exceptions such as Nora, who is a Berserker, but I think that is because her family was also Norse. However if Classes are linked to things like beliefs and traditions, wouldn't that also mean that Atlas, which is centered around Soldiers and Mages, will have a decrease in Noble and Hero classes appart from Magic Casters?" The Alchemist mulled over the question before his eyes widened and he dashed towards Y/n, shaking his back and forth vigoriously.

Oobleck: "You just gave one of, if not the biggest insights on Classes in decades!" He shouted happily. "Scholars have long since realised that some Classes can die out, but they still had not clue on why! OF COURSE! It was linked to outside factors, not merely genetics! Traditions! Religions! Even languages! There has to be a link!" Papers flew through the room as Oobleck dashed around. A second later the man was back in front of Y/n, now with a chair and a hand full of parchments and writing utensils. "Tell me your hypothesis."