Chapter 45

The first snowfall marked the beginning of winter. The Season of Heroes has arrived and with it came the call for an assembly. Every single student at Beacon gathered in the nicely heated Great Hall, awaiting the start of the Headmasters Speech.

Y/n got a lot of strange look at his lack of clothes suited for the cold that ruled outside. Even Weiss was wore a fluffy coat and a pair of pants instead of her usual skirts or dresses. However the giant boy did not feel cold, he was sure it had to do with his Viking Body passive, but unlike his guildmates he was still wearing his summer clothing consisting of plain cloth pants, a thin linen shirt and some leather boots.

It had been a week since the 1st Years went through their first raid and Y/n had recovered quickly thanks to having called upon the Valkyries. He woke up a day later and was told that the Headmaster will come back to him at somepoint in the following weeks to talk about his encounter with the Cloaked Figures. So far Y/n had not heard back, but he was certain that will soon change.

The headmaster did not let his students wait for long and he soon walked onto the stage, Vice-Headmistress Goodwitch was not far behind.

Like usually the man used one of his spell to silence the crowd and another to make his voice carry through the entire room.

Ozpin: "Winter has arrived. The Fall has left and with it the Season of Nobles. Now starts the Season of Heroes. For the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years among you, you already know what this means, but let me repeat for the 1st years." Y/n looked around and saw some of the 1st years nervously shuffle form one foot to the other. "Winter in Vale is a harsh, cold and dark season. It is in the nature of people to fear the dark and to feel sad due to the cold. Villages who are not prepared enough might face famine. All these things are a flame the Grimm will feel attracted to. As such winter is the time where Heroes are the most needed." Even with all sound being muted Y/n could feel the heavy silence this caused to settle over the crowd. "There will be no classes till spring. All students are to venture out and to complete as many quests as possible. This is your end of year exam. Make sure to come back alive. You are dismissed." The sound returned as the man left the stage.

Y/n spotted Ozpin stop and the two made eye contact. One wave with his hands and Y/n excused himself from his friends, quickly following his teachers.

Y/n: "A bit dark if I am being honest, sir." The chuckle from Ozpin was filled with mirth.

Ozpin: "Over the years I have learned that giving false hope can deal more harm than being brutally honest." They walked through one of the many corridors of Beacon and suddenly stopped. "Look around you, what do you see mister Schwarz?"

Looking around Y/n let his eyes wander across the countless names carved into the ceiling.

Y/n: "The names of the dead, heroes who have long since entered their form afterlife. Be it Vallhalla, Heaven, Paradise, The Realm of Light, Nirvana, The Field of Reeds, Elysium or something else. I am certain most of them fought till their last breath."

Glynda: "We like to believe so too." The woman said softly.

Ozpin: "Many halls of Beacon have the names of Vales dead Heroes carved into the ceiling for us to remember and to look up to them, and for them to watch over us. I am certain you can guess in which season the most names get added to the long list of the dead."

Y/n: "Winter, it is not just the Heroes who see an increase in deaths, workers are the most vulnerable. It is our job to help them as best as we can."

The two adults nodded and the trio soon continued their walk. Not long after they reached the headmasters office, where Y/n was motioned to sit down while Ozpin took his seat and Glynda went to retrieve something.