Chapter 41

Watching the 6 other members of his group fight, revealed that Cardin and his band of boot lickers, were indeed rather capable when it comes to fighting Grimm. Even the two additional fighters were quickly integrated into their formation and while it was nowhere near perfect, it got the job done with only the occasional hiccup.

A swipe to slow here, a wrongly held block there, sometimes letting a Grimm get too close to the backline. But all in all the Grimm were killed with decent speed and Y/n did not have to step in because the group lacked skill, however the mass of Grimm demanded for Y/n's intervention.

Y/n: "Stay near mister Gunde, Fen." The wolf nodded and sat down, ready to kill any Grimm that was stupid enough to come closer to the worker driving the carriage. With a small grunt Y/n got up from his seat and walzed up to the closest group of Grimm.

Grimm-Splitter was true to its name and quickly turned the beasts of darkness into puffs of smoke. However there was little to know enjoyement from this fight. No excitement. The Canis, their Alphas and the Boarbatusk here and there were nothing compared to any of the Grimm Y/n had fought before. He still could remember the Initiation and his struggle with the Grimm he currently crushes under his feet, quiet literally too, as he had stomped on at least 8 Canis skulls by now. And the fight had just started less then a minute ago.

But the fight was only interesting due to his passive making him feel any excitement. 

It is a well known fact that the easier something is, the less it adds towards reaching the next level. Not because you get less experience, for a Blacksmith the first nail made will give the same experience as the millionth, but it takes more experience for every level.

Take a Hero-In-Training as an example. The average level of the students applying to Beacon is 14. It took these students around 7 years of training to get to that level, as most households tend to start training their children at age 10. Since the only ways to gain experience for any Hero class are either completing Quests or killing enemies, it is common practice for Heroes to take their child out on hunts, where they will help them kill low level Grimm until they are strong enough to hunt those Grimm on their own.

In Vale the Grimm most young Heroes will hunt until they join Beacon, are Canis. It took Y/n a bit over 20 Canis to level up from level 12 to 13, and by the time he left the Trap Dungeon he was level 22 and had killed hundreds of Canis.

Now at level 43 it would take a couple thousand Canis to get him to level 44 and tens of thousands for the next level.

Every person on Remnant, even the odd case that was Y/n, instinctively knew when what they are doing no longer is worth the effort, when the work needed far outclasses the little experience rewarded.

For Heroes that usually means that they needed to find bigger Grimm to slay, harder Dungeons to clear, more difficult Quests to fulfill or stronger enemies to kill.

As such the current Grimm Y/n was slaughtering while thinking about what tonights dinner will be, really were not worth it. Hundreds of them now are equally valuable as a single nail back when he was level 10, that is to say, not much.

Thinking about it Y/n realized that the other three Class types had it a lot worse than the Heroes. They could only reach a specific level, usually level 40 for Soldiers, 30 for Nobles and 20 for Workers, due to not being able to go out and look for more valuable tasks.

A Blacksmith could go out of their way to gather rare materials and spent hours forging a set of armor, but if they can't sell it, it is not worth it. So instead they will work with common materials, repairing or forging regular items.

A Lord could go and gather more citizens to rule over, but Y/n was certain both the King and the other Nobles would have something to say if one of their fellow Lords suddenly has a far bigger population under their watch than what they had before.