「Phase 124」That Marionette, Now Freed

Mai sat on her old bed, the back of her hand to her forehead.

"Today's been so busy..."

Tsubaki's side of the room wasn't much different from what Mai had remembered. Posters of idols Tsubaki admired along and the units she had been in were up, with Tsubaki's possessions as neat and organised as always. It hasn't changed much at all.

In comparison, her side...

Her bedding had been stripped and any of her belongings that had once decorated the room were either gone or reluctantly replaced. Which made sense - all of her belongings were with her, at her and Hiyori's apartment.

It just felt...

Emptier than she realised it would.

Though much to Mai's relief, on the bedside table, there was still a framed photo of Midnight. One they took shortly after Kotone debuted and joined them, early on during their second year at the idol school.

Gathered in the very same room were her former fellow unit members and her girlfriend, who had come along too after an accidental and tearful reunion in front of Rosebud Academy earlier that day.

"What exactly were you doing earlier?" Sachiko asked and Mai gave a small, airy laugh.

"I just... got distracted a lot this morning."

"Akiyama Akemi, huh," Tsubaki pondered, chin in her hand. "She's an Aikatsu engineer?"

Mai nodded. "She is. She seems to know what's happening but..."

In the end, despite prying so much all Mai had managed to garner was claims about 'changing Aikatsu forever' and how she needn't worry about it and should focus on advertising overseas as usual. She supposed Akemi had a point but...

...It was concerning.

Incredibly concerning.

"...Maybe she's right," Tsubaki continued, "Maybe it is nothing to worry about. Maybe you should just look at your stay in Japan as... a vacation, or something?"

"I can't do that when the system's giving off weird signs. Your entire careers depend on it - I'd never be able to forgive myself if..."

"We'll keep an eye on things. But there's no point over-stressing. You might as well enjoy your time here a little, y'know?"

"Tsubaki..."

"For once, I agree," Sachiko said, placing her hand over Mai's. "I'm sure Akiyama-san has... some... good intentions. As long as those three can put up enough of a good fight, both schools will stay relevant and the system might actually improve."

"Both schools?"

"Akiyama-san is... passionate about making Rosebud Academy the best idol school. If she's an engineer I wouldn't put it past father to have hired her."

Hinata sighed. "Jeez, I swear every time someone new appears in Rosebud something insane happens with the system," she complained, looking at Sachiko. Sachiko blushed and looked away, and Mai giggled.

"Sachi-chan..."

"Oh well, unluckily for Rosebud Academy, they don't have the bright and fun and amazing Celestial Star: Hina-sama! There's no way they'll even stand a chance."

"If Celestial Academy and Rosebud Academy were to battle, the chances of Celestial Academy succeeding is approximately 49%."

"Ugh. Are you sure you didn't get it the wrong way around?"

"I am certain."

"Kotone-chan," Mai started, "Have you noticed anything different with the system recently?"