Chapter 22

I pull into the café's parking lot and see Emma waiting by the door. My hands spin the warm leather wheel, turning into a parking spot and shifting my new car in park. The seat buckle clicks and retracts back into the side. I switch the engine off and pull my keys out. My hand grips the handle, pulling it out and opening the door open, stepping out of the car.

   I close the door with a little slam and look up from my shiny car to see people staring at me from in the café.

   Heat rises to my cheeks and I quickly pull my phone out and send a quick message to Kingston letting him know I'm at the café.

   Slipping my phone back into the black fuzzy sweatshirt I stole from Kingston and make my way across the full parking lot. Hitting the lock button on my keys and hearing my car beep in response.

   I look at the café and smile. It's super cute.

   It's a square tan building with large windows facing the parking lot, exposing the calm and welcoming interior. People are sitting on bar stools, their hands wrapped around a coffee as they talk to someone with them or are on their phones. An 'Open' sign is hung on the door, the lights flickering and fading every few seconds.

   Emma spots me and grins. She runs over to me "Hey girl!" She squeals and I smile at her, feeling my phone buzz in the sweatshirt pocket. "Hey," she smiles at me, and then we walk towards the front door with her right behind me.

   My hand closes around the handle before pulling the glass door open. Letting Emma walk in before I follow. The door closes behind me and the smell of coffee and breakfast foods fill my nostrils.

   Ew. I hate the smell of coffee.

   My nose scrunches up at the smell. But the style is cute. The walls are painted a light tan with dim lights hanging down above the little booths and tables with chairs. Clocks and paintings are hung all over the walls, fake plants scattered about the coffee shop giving it the needed greenery.

   I follow Emma to the counter where some kids our age are leaning around, some making coffee and food and some just chatting about.

   "Hey," Emma says and a guy leaning on the counter looks up at Emma and smiles. He's not bad looking, he's got brown hair and brown eyes, a decent looking face and body. He's tall but not as tall as Kingston, he's completely tattoo-less and had pierced ears with the little stud diamonds.

   He stands up and moves to the register "Hey, want your usual?" He asks and she nods with a smile "Yes, and I'll take a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich as well." She states then gives me a grin and pushes me towards the counter.

   "Your turn." She states as the guy finishes typing the price into the register and looks back up at me. His lips part slightly as he stares at me, unblinking.

   I play with my fingers as I wait for him to stop staring at me.

   I don't like this.

   "Hey, what can I get for you beautiful?" He asks in a lower tone. I don't like the way he said that, or the fact that he said that at all but I brush it off my shoulder, glancing at the menu hanging up behind him and above the coffee machines.

   "I'll have a large hot chocolate please." He nods, typing it into the register, his eyes flicking back up to me as he types.

   I wait nervously, not liking how he keeps looking at me.

   I wish Kingston was here.

   "Hey, uh, by any chance are you single?" He asks. I freeze slightly, opening my mouth to say something but Emma cuts me off "Yes! She is!" She squeals excitedly. I shoot her a quick glance, she's grinning at me but I can see something else hidden behind that smile.