4- In Through the Window

TW- Talk of abuse

I run to my room, locking the door behind me. I slump down against it, pressing the heels of my palms against my eyes to try and stem tears with little prevail.

He told me it wouldn't get bad again. But he always says that. He's said that from the start. It always gets bad again. And I hate my position. Because now I can protect myself with tae kwon do and karate against everyone... everyone but my own dad. He raises his voice or slams a glass down too hard and all I can do is run. He looks at me wrong and I make up some excuse to leave the house. I've lost so much... I've lost so many people... so has my dad... at first, I thought that our common losses would pull us closer together than ever. I'm the only child he has left... I was wrong. He's just so... angry... and he takes it out on me.

It's why I bought a car so I could drive myself anywhere and everywhere I needed or wanted to be. Why I made a fake ID and risk getting caught everyday to do so. Why I took up tae kwon do on Tuesdays and Wednesdays along with the usual Mondays and Thursdays before I started getting serious about karate. Why I keep up with piano and show choir. Why I got an evening and weekend job. Why I do anything and everything to stay away from this house.

I clench my teeth to keep my tears silent. I'm so tired of feeling so unsafe in my own house. I miss the night I spent over at the LaRusso's where I felt like I was a part of a real family of again. The laughter, the Italian food, the smiles... it was like I was... at home. But it only makes being here that much worse. It only reminds me of how much I've lost. I just wanna go home... I just wanna go home! But I have no idea where home is! I just want to go home...

Shaking, I stand up and push the dresser in front of the door, just to be safe. I need all the protection I can get. I rearranged my room simply so my dresser was in a position to do so with ease. My room is the only refuge I have in this wretched house. And even still, it never feels completely safe.

Suddenly, my phone buzzes, causing me to jump. It's just a text, it's just a text, it's okay, it's okay. I'm okay. I'm okay. I open my phone, now aware of how badly my hands are shaking.

Robby

-Hey

-I know this is probably asking too

much, but do you have a place I could

crash for the night? I was gonna ask Mr

LaRusso but... something came up

-If not it's okay I understand

I have some blankets you can-

sleep on in my room

-You're amazing Park, I owe you

-What's ur address??

(house number, street name) , Reseda-

-I'll be there in about 10 minutes

👌🏽👌🏽 come through the side gate-

First window on your right-

-Window??

I can explain when you get here-

-okay

-Thanks again

Ofc-