41- Reconciliation

Miguel and I did another lap or so around the rink, then just sat and talked and I finished my drink and it was really nice besides the fact that I was constantly checking the time because when Tory goes on break, I'm leaving. Though I really really don't want to face Robby and Sam, I've come to realize that you'll always have to face your problems at some point, so you might as well face them sooner rather than later. My stomach sinks a little as the time finally reaches that dreaded point. I take off my skates, put my shoes back on, then pull my hair up into a mid-level ponytail because I was getting tired of it falling in my face. Miguel seems to realize that I'm getting ready to go.

"Aw man, are you leaving already?" He asks. I appreciate the sentiment, but I've been here long enough. I just want to go home.

"Yeah. I really should get home, and Tory should be going on break right about now. I don't want to be the third wheel on two dates in one night," I say. He nods in understanding and stands up with me.

"You know, if you ever feel like making those cookies..." he says. I roll my eyes but smile. I was planning on making some at some point anyway.

"I'll make some one of these days and I could swing by after work. Just let me know when you're free,"

"I didn't think that would work,"

We both laugh and Tory comes skating up to us. Considering she got tripped and had food spilt all over her, she looks pretty happy.

"Hey babe," she greets. Miguel responds with a 'hey' of his own then turns to me.

"Are you gonna be okay? With Sam and Robby I mean," he asks. That is a good question...

"I think so... I know you guys all aren't very fond of each other, but they're the only friends I have... I just... I can't lose them," I say, my voice growing less steady as I get increasingly nervous. I'm terrified. I don't know what to say to my friends. I don't know what to do. I'm scared.

"Well," Tory says, taking my hand and writing- what I assume is- her number on it, "now you have two more."

Awe... that was actually really sweet. Despite- you know- feeling like I'm the forgettable tagalong friend, I feel really noticed in a way. I know she didn't have to do that, and I know she should dislike me because I'm Sam's friend.

"Thank you, both of you... it means a lot to me. Have fun on your date," I say with a small smile, and with that, I return my skates, and finally leave the skating rink.

—-

I used to ride the bus to get to my activities, but after I got a car and started... driving illegally, I didn't really need to anymore. It used to scare me out of my mind but now it's not so bad. Still nerve racking, but not enough to send me on a complete mental breakdown. I board the bus, taking a seat by a window towards the middle. I like to stare out the window and pretend I'm in a dramatic movie.

A little ways in, somebody new boards the bus and just kinda... hovers by my seat. Move along please.

"Can I sit here?" They ask. A man, an adult man, sounds like he's in his forties. My whole body goes hot at the sudden interaction. Also, there are plenty of other open seats. Why choose the one next to the teenage girl?

"Yo no hablo ingles (I don't speak English)," I say in a panic. He gives me a funny look then moves along. Thank goodness. That was the last thing I need right now. Although I should probably stop telling strangers lies out of panic. I sigh and finally open my texts as soon as I get settled once more.

Sam✨🤩

-Are you sure?