52- Wash Away Your Troubles

We're in this together whether we like it or not.

I've got your back no matter what.

I guess some things don't change.

The words play in my head over and over again like a broken record. I've been trying to work on my project for science, which is creating a 3D model of a time when dinosaurs roamed the earth, for hours now, but I keep getting distracted. Everything is a distraction. I could be locked in a sound proof, distraction-free room and I would still find a way to not focus on my project. It's kind of hard to focus on anything when your best friend is in juvie and your other friend is paralyzed in the hospital by your best friend's doing. I just hope that both of them will be okay...

I give a groan- or perhaps an angry sigh- of frustration, then close my spiral with my specifications and notes rather aggressively and stand up to do something else since progress clearly isn't a thing that exists right now. I should be getting ready for the car wash fundraiser that Sam and I have been organizing anyway. I made some pretty nice posters to put up and I was able to use the printer at the library to print out a picture of Miguel to put on it, specifically the one we took at the end of our reconciliation after everything that happened at the tournament. Did I almost cry while printing the photo? That is between me and the printer.

I fill up my water bottle and then two extras, because it's hot out and I know somebody is gonna forget to bring water. Luckily for me, I actually did get around to fixing the sink. Abuelita got home from getting the groceries and found me crying and said that it was okay that I didn't fix it, but then I couldn't sleep so I did it at like one in the morning. It works great now.

I head back into my room to change and fix my hair. The goal is to attract customers... yellow it is. It may not be the most practical for car washing, but neither is a knee brace and I still did it with one of those. My heart pangs at the memory. It's gonna feel weird to wash and wax cars again. I used to do it all the time whether it was for karate training or just doing my job at the dealership but it's been weeks since I've done either of those things.

I shake the thought away and grab everything I need for the fundraiser. This is gonna be good. It has to...

"¡Voy a la recaudación de fondos ahora (I'm going to the fundraiser now)! I'll be back around dinner!" I call as I make to walk out the door. Abuelita knows about it but I just want to make sure she knows where I am before she panics about it. Ever since I got lost in a movie theater when I was like nine, she likes to be sure of my whereabouts when I'm in her care.

"Have fun, Princesa!" she calls back. I smile softly to myself, then set off to get ready for the car wash.

This is amazing. The turnout has been amazing and I finally feel like I'm back in the groove of things. I washed and waxed a car full of guys who were nothing but complimentary, but in the least creepy way possible. They were super sweet. The next car of boys I did was... not like that. Lots of... staring. Needless to say, I was incredibly uncomfortable, but at least I made their car look really nice. Other than things like that, I've been having fun, and watching other people do the chore that I so often had to do brings me a certain feeling of joy that I've missed feeling.

"You look happy for once," somebody says as I finish with a car, waving after them. Who- Demetri. Should've known from the sarcastic comment.

"Would you rather me be emotionally numb, Demi Lovato?" I respond, crossing over to prepare a new sponge.

"I hate it when you call me that," he says, walking alongside me. I laugh a little to myself. He's hilarious sometimes.

"Yeah, I know, that's why I do it," I say, looking over at him. He gives me a look that says 'you're insufferable but I can't hate you'. I can't help but laugh a little again. Did I miss karate training this much? Have I missed it so much that the simple act of washing cars floods me with the joy of the past? Perhaps I have... perhaps I just long for a time where maybe I had little but what little I had... it was good. I had Robby and Sam and Mr LaRusso and karate and tae kwon do and... and balance... I haven't felt true balance since before the fight. I can't. A part of me feels... missing.. I wish finding balance was easy... I wish there was a way I could thrust out my hands like I would on a balance beam to steady out my life..