27- Let's Dance

"Does your middle name start with an 'i' or a 'y'?"

"A 'y'. That's why my Instagram name is 'park_y_reyes',"

"That makes more sense now. I could never figure out if it was an initial or 'and' in Spanish," Demetri says as he joins Robby, Sam, and I at the table. I think he got caught up in the line. I just got a coke and fries, which is great because I'm not that hungry and this place has crinkle-cut fries- aka the best kind, and they're not too salty.

"Wait," Demetri says suddenly, "is today Wednesday?"

I believe so, yes, because yesterday I had piano, which has been my guide for what day of the week it is for years. I nod.

"Yeah,"

"Mhmm,"

"The new issue of Dungeon Lord came out!" He exclaims, standing up in a flash, "um, do you guys want anything from the comic book store?"

We all laugh a little at his enthusiasm.

"Um, no, thanks," Robby says, though it's not condescending or anything. Sam just shakes her head. Well shoot.

"Can you see if they have the new Spider Girl comic? I think it was supposed to release this month but I've been too busy to check. And by Spider Girl I mean Araña, the Hispanic one," I ask/say. She's rather inspiring to me, personally.

"I haven't read them yet, are they good?"

"Oh yeah,"

"Sweet, do you want me to get it if they have it?"

"You don't have to, I just want to know if they have it,"

"Okay, I'll be right back. Make sure no one throws away my chicken!" He says, and with that, he speeds off. The three of us chuckle. Robby and Sam are amazing friends and all and I wouldn't trade them for anything, and it's not like they're not smart or anything, but they're not really that geeky, whereas I've marathoned all the Marvel movies- excluding the Hulk ones- and cried multiple times during Infinity War but I mean who didn't?

"I didn't know you were a comic book fan, Parker" Sam says. Not until this one, actually.

"This is the only one I've read. My Abuelita bought one for me when I was younger and I've liked it ever since. I like the art style they use, and she's Hispanic, I'm half Hispanic, we look similar, she's badass, it's great," I say. If I get judged I'm leaving-

"Nice," Robby says, "what does 'Araña' mean?"

"It's 'spider' in Spanish," I reply. He gives me an 'ah I see' look. I finish the last of my fries, sitting back a little awkwardly. I feel like a third wheel. At least when Demetri was with us I could talk to him and let Sam and Robby stare dreamily into each other's eyes. Now I just have to sit here. It's not unlike how things were at the lunch table during school.

"Are you guys done with everything?" Sam asks after a few more moments or so.

"I think so yeah,"

"Yep,"

"Same here,"

The three of us stand up to find a trash can.

"I really like your shirt, Parker," Sam says as we go. Oh yay, I was afraid I would get scolded for being too edgy or something. It's a black cropped shirt with long, wide sleeves that have white dragons running the length of them. Miyagi-Do has a certain aesthetic that I feel like I have to live up to, and I didn't know if it fit.

"Thank you!"

"It reminds me of your gi from the tournament," Robby says as we walk. That was the goal, yes.