29- Disgraced

I decided to come to the dojo early today. A part of me still isn't over what happened yesterday and there's nothing like beating up on a bag to release emotions. Even doing a kata on a deck helps sometimes. Sometimes I imagine I'm beating up whoever I'm mad at with the moves. I've done it since I was little.

I go in thorough the back gate, just because it's easier. I physically drop my bag and everything I'm holding. My heart seems to stop beating.

Toilet paper hangs from the trees, potted plants are strewn everywhere, the bonsais on the balance board are not balanced anymore- to say the least, the fences are spray painted, the bag has been cut down, spray painted, and cut open, the giant rock has been knocked over... the whole place is a mess... what happened?! Wait... if somebody trashed the outside... what would stop them from trashing the inside...?

I run to the dojo as fast as my legs will take me, though I find that I don't even have to open the door, as one is already practically knocked off. My hand flies to my mouth in shock. Barely anything is standing anymore. Things on the walls have been knocked to the ground. Doors are askew. My eyes fall on a broken frame on the ground. I fall to my knees. They took Mr Miyagi's Medal of Honor...

I have to call Mr LaRusso. I fumble with my phone, hands shaking. This isn't happening, this isn't happening. Come on Mr LaRusso, pick up, pick up!

"Parker? What's going on, it's early," Mr LaRusso's voice asks groggily.

"Devi venire. È brutto. Devi arrivare qui. Per favore, arriva qui (you have to come. It's bad. You have to get here. Please get here)," I say, speaking rapidly in my panic, "I'm at Miyagi Do dojo. You have to- please- you-" I pause, taking a breath to steady myself, "you have to get here. Now."

With that, I hang up, setting my phone down. I can't stop shaking. Miyagi-Do is my home... I've trained here practically every day for over a month now. I've found balance here, I've grown stronger here, I feel safe here... it's been like my home in the absence of my own... and now it's been completely disgraced. And I'm gonna figure out who did it. I already have a creeping suspicion as to who...

The four of us stare at the writing on Mr LaRusso's yellow car. None of us can take our eyes off it. It couldn't be more clear who did it. It's red paint on a yellow car.

Cobra Kai never dies!!

Mr LaRusso gets in the car, anger radiating from his whole body.

"Mr LaRusso?" Robby and I ask in unison.

"Dad where are you going?" Sam asks. I think somehow we all know the answer to that question. He drives off without a responding to any of us. Robby looks over at me, then at Sam, looking for any clarification as to what's going on.

"We all know he has a short temper. Cobra Kai did this. He won't let it go unnoticed," I say, "and neither will I."

I start for my car. Cobra Kai is making all of our lives hell. And I'm tired of it. I'm tired of living a nightmare. I'm tired of everything going wrong just as things go right. I'm tired of having my summer ruined. I'm so tired!

"Park where are you going?" Robby asks, starting after me.

"I'll be back soon," I say, "and I think we both know exactly where I'm going."

A bell jingles as I walk through the door and a class full of eyes fall on me. My whole body burns with embarrassment but for once I push it aside because this is the last straw.

"What are you doing here?" Mr Lawrence asks. He already looks annoyed, which gives me solid evidence that Mr LaRusso was just here. Hey.. those are some of the guys that we fought at the mall yesterday... and Hawk with a black eye. My heart pangs a little.

"I think you know exactly why I'm here," I say, trying to keep my voice steady, "the Miyagi-Do dojo is a complete wreck."

He sighs, hanging his head a little.

"Your Sensei already came and gave his spiel about disrespect, princess, so you can-"

"¡Silencio!" I shout at the old man who spoke. Who is he? Is he a Sensei here too? I thought it was just Mr Lawrence... I don't care. I hate the way he called me 'princess'. Everyone looks shocked that I yelled.

"English, sweetheart, we're in America," he says. ¿Perdón? So he's one of those people... I slip off my shoes, walking onto the mat.

"Cómo se dice en Inglés- no revenge is more honorable than that which is not taken. I didn't come here for a fight-"

"Then why are you on the mat?" The old man asks.

"I don't know who the hell you are, but I didn't come here to talk to you either," I say, the demon of anger possessing me and fueling me with some sort of confidence. I turn back to Mr Lawrence.

"I thought things were changing around here. I thought you were teaching your students about honor. Guess I shouldn't have held on to false hope," I say. My words are meant to sting.

"I already told LaRusso, I don't know what happened or who did it, okay?" Mr Lawrence says.

"Maybe you don't, but whoever did is acting under the name of Cobra Kai, and they want it to be known. Do any of you think of Cobra Kai as a home? Somewhere that's been there for you? Somewhere where you feel like you don't have to be whatever you were forced to be before?" I ask, addressing the students. Nobody moves.

"Answer her!" Mr Lawrence exclaims. Huh... I did.. not expect that... Miguel is the first to raise his hand. Others follow in suit until almost everybody in the class has their hand raised. Mr Lawrence shocks me again by raising his own hand. I nod a little.

"Imagine if you walked into this dojo and everything was a mess. The mirrors shattered. The mats torn up and ripped. Bags slashed. Gear thrown everywhere. Glass littering the floor. Sign crossed out. Trophies broken and thrown to the ground. Your mantra slashed through with bright red paint. And on the front window someone has written 'go to hell Cobra Kai- love Miyagi-Do' where everyone will see it," I say, painting a mental picture for the Cobra Kais, "got that in your head? Because that's exactly what one- or some- of you did the Miyagi-Do dojo. I know here you train to be badass. I won't sell you short of your skills. I should know, I saw them yesterday when you fought us at the mall yesterday. Losing, six on three?Nice eye, Hawk," I continue, "but what you did wasn't badass. Doesn't make you cool. It just shows that whoever did it has no honor. I know not all of you are awful people- at least, I want think you aren't," I say, glancing at Miguel, "because life isn't black and white like that... but maybe I've been wrong... I don't mean to preach. I just figured it might get through to you a little better if you saw the people you're actually impacting. We're just like you."

With one last hurt, lingering look, I turn and walk away, grabbing my shoes on the way out.

• • •

A/N: As always, stay safe and take care of yourselves!