45- The Storm

The bell shrills, almost startling me. What did Sam do? As soon as I make it out of the classroom, I bolt, tearing down the halls to try and make it to Sam's home room in time to maybe stop Tory from doing something awful to her. I haven't ran this fast since what happened with my dad.. I shake the thought away and push myself to go faster.

I slip through a crowd of people, making my way to the front, where Tory and Sam are walking in a circle, like dogs preparing to fight. I stand across the hall from Aisha, and Hawk and a few other Cobra Kais stand behind where Sam eventually stops. The two glare at each other. I see Robby run up behind where Tory stands, looking confused and concerned, which is just how I feel at the moment. That, and I'm scared too.

"I saw what you did at the party," Tory says, "you kissed Miguel."

She what? How could she?! What the hell?! And I know Tory is telling the truth because this must be why Sam looked so nervous earlier... I look over at Robby. I've never seen him look so hurt... so betrayed... my heart pangs then starts beating hard and fast.

Sam stumbles for words but finds none. And that's how all of us know that it's true. Sam kissed Miguel.

Tory makes the first swing at Sam, who side steps, then dodges the next strike. She tries to run away, but Tory grabs her backpack, throwing it off to the side. She kicks Sam backwards into Hawk and the Cobra Kais, who immediately push her back into the fight. Tory continues to beat up on Sam, who blocks and dodges to the best of her abilities. I feel rooted where I stand.

Robby finally rushes into the heat of the fight, pulling Tory off of Sam. He gets her pinned against a locker, trying to diffuse the situation. I run forward to check on Sam, gently putting a hand on each of her shoulders.

"Are you okay?" I ask in a clear tone. She nods, though I can see tears in her eyes. Understandable. I feel like I'm about to cry and nothing has happened directly to me.

Miguel appears out of nowhere, tackling Robby away from Tory. And suddenly everything goes from 100 to 1000. Miguel and Robby start fighting. Tory goes back to fighting Sam. Hawk starts fighting random people, seeming ecstatic. No... no... I don't want to fight... this isn't what I've been taught...

I try to help someone who got shoved in the crossfire of a fight, but someone throws me into Aisha.

"Oh you want some of this?!" She exclaims as I try to apologize. What?! No! She swings me around, slamming me against the lockers. The combination things dig into my back. That's gonna leave a few marks... alright, it's officially self defense.

I sidekick her away from me. She quickly retaliates coming at me with strong punches and other hand techniques. This is just like back at the All Valley. She has more power and strength in her strikes, but they're slower and easier to evade. My style is a lot faster. It's always been my strategy. I've always been twig-like in stature, so in sparring it's always been speed and smarts. Use your opponent against themself. And that's exactly what I intend on doing. She manages to slip in a punch to the nose as I map out her strategy and style. Okay.

I start taking the fight into my own hands. Double round kick- to the head to the stomach, sand the floor, jump side kick, back fist, reverse punch, bail round kick, paint the house, wax on, wax off, knife hand, grab, punch- wait... I let go of her, backing away, a little distraught. I was fully ready to punch her in the face...Why- why are we fighting?

"I don't want to hurt you," I say. I don't... it's not why I started doing tae kwon do, it's not why I started doing karate, and it's not why I do it now. I fight to protect, not to harm. She relaxes a little.

"Yeah... we don't even have any beef," she says. Yeah for real. The only thing I can think of is when I beat her at the All Valley but I mean when you sign up, you go in knowing that you have a high chance of losing.