88 - While I'm Gone

"Park! Park! Don't scream, don't scream," somebody says in a hushed voice, putting a hand on my shoulder. I jump, tensing up heavily. Holy shit what the hell?! Oh!

"Robby? Dios mío, what are you doing here?!" I exclaim in a whisper, turning into his arm to face him. Even in the low light, I can see him grin. He gently tucks a loose piece of hair behind my ear.

"I wasn't just gonna let my girlfriend go all the way to Texas without saying goodbye," he says. I find myself unable to stop a grin from spreading across my face. He woke up before three a.m. to come and say goodbye? Awe... I didn't expect him to do that... I wouldn't expect anyone to ever do something like this for me...

"You didn't have to do that," I say, looking down at the ground. It's really early in the morning. All of us have been complaining about how early we had to get here for weeks... but he did it anyway...

"I wanted to. I won't see you until you get back and I wanted to wish you luck," Robby says. He gently tilts my chin up so I'm looking at him.

"You're the most talented person I know. Your voice deserves to be heard. And I'd wish you luck like I just said I was going to, but you don't need it. I've got your back no matter what... even if you're twenty-one hours away."

Tears prick at my eyes and choke up my throat. Ay de mí... all I can do is give a small nod. He grins again, then pulls me into an embrace, which I return. He rests his head against mine, exhaling deeply. I wonder if he's nervous. I am... but it'll be okay... it'll be va bene.

He finally steps out of the hug, looking me in the eye.

"I'm gonna miss you," he says quietly. Awe... I'm gonna miss him too. It'll be weird being so far away... but I'll only be gone a few days. We've been apart for far longer periods of time. I get it though. It'll be strange to be away from all of... everything. No tae kwon do, no karate, no war... just singing and dancing and having a good time. It'll be nice.

"I'm gonna miss you too, mi corazón," I say. He gives me a small smile, then presses a kiss to my lips, lingering just a moment longer than I thought he would.

"Stay safe, hermosa," Robby says, "and try not to fall in love with any choir boys while you're away, okay?"

"You know you're the only one who has my heart," I say, scrunching my nose lovingly, "make sure to read chapter four of The Great Gatsby while I'm gone, va bene?"

"Va bene," he says with a side grin, sounding a little flustered. I smile at him one last time before making to walk into the building for attendance.

"Buono," I say, turning off and walking backwards as I wave back at him, "arrivederci!"

He waves back, and with that, I bounce off, headed for the choir room so I can go on my trip.

——

Miguel POV