66- Keene About You

Abuelita expresses her excitement, tells me to take good care of him, the two of us exchange 'adios's and 'te amo's, then she hangs up. When I tuck my phone back into my pocket and look back up at Robby, he's grinning wider than before.

"Sorry. My abuelo is... currently in the hospital... at first it was just respiratory problems, but now the doctors are saying respiratory failure and- I don't know... he's on a ventilator, so hopefully it helps but... no matter what happens, they're gonna have to pay the medical bills. They're no joke... I'm pretty sure we're still working on debt from my mom's cancer treatment... with paying off the medical bills, that could mean less to pay rent here and I- I got my job back at the dealership plus my job at the tae kwon do school... I just have to pray it's enough..." I trail off, trying not to cry. I shake my head upon realization of how depressing I just made things.

"But Abuelita also told me to take care of you, so! Are you hungry or anything? I made arroz con habichuelas the other day, oh! And meatballs. There should be some left. I made a lot so I wouldn't have to cook as much in the evenings."

"As much as I want to continue... this..." he says, cupping my face in his hand and running a soft thumb over my lips, "dinner sounds amazing, especially if it's made by you."

"Mmm," I hum with a smile, giving him a quick kiss before giving him a loving face scrunch look, "don't be a kiss up."

With that, I turn and walk into the kitchen. Robby Keene is the only person I would ever say that to after having just been complimented. He knows I'm messing with him, just as I would assume that he was messing with me if the situation were reversed. For the most part, anyway. I would probably debate with myself over it, but ultimately come to the conclusion that it wasn't serious. I hope he wasn't offended. I've told him I would kick his ass many times. I think it'll be okay, but still.

I pull my hair up in a bun, then grab the containers of arroz, habichuelas, and chicken from the refrigerator. When I turn back around, Robby is standing right there, which I did not expect. I jump.

"Dios mío, you scared me," I say, laughing a little, "how much do you want?"

"This will technically be my first meal since juvie so.. a good amount," he replies, grinning, even though it's awful. My heart pangs. He hasn't eaten since what? Yesterday? And it must've been yesterday morning, because we had practice in the afternoon, which is when Sam told me that Mr LaRusso had talked to Robby and it didn't go well. He hasn't eaten anything?! Thank goodness we ran into each other at the dojo...

"Robby... you should've called me..." I say, heartbroken at the thought of him all alone in who knows where, probably starving, maybe cold...

"I didn't know where to find you.. and I didn't know if you would answer. You have a habit of not answering your phone if there's no caller ID. I was afraid you wouldn't answer," he says. He's right... I feel awful..

"You're right... it's gonna be okay now," I say gently, "you can go sit down, this won't take long."

His expression softens. Looking at him now makes me realize how much I've missed him all this time. I'm so glad to have him back.

"What would I do without you, Park?" he says. That's a good question.

"Hmm..." I say as I place his place in the microwave and set it to the right time, "total anarchy. You wind up on the streets. Soon thereafter, you run into a hitman who offers you food and shelter in exchange for joining them in their killing. They eventually ditch you, leaving one last assignment. 'What else do I have to lose?' you think. The president is dead within the next twenty-four hours. You are never caught. Hopefully, you keep a small picture of me or otherwise something else to remember me by to reflect upon your actions as you look upon the chaos that you were the catalyst for."