20- Beach Club

"We are not picking a fight at the mall to get students, that would make us look like assholes," I say, mildly exasperated.

"Cobra Kai is already full of assholes," Robby says back.

"Are we not above Cobra Kai?"

"I'm with Parker. Picking a fight is a terrible idea,"

Robby turns back to the bag while I return my focus to a kata. Picking a fight? I mean I get where he's coming from, it would give us great publicity, but that's not what we stand for. I don't think Mr LaRusso would like the idea anyway. The one of us sparring isn't as bad, but still. They're right. People want to see the offense. They don't care about defense, which is what karate is all about.

"I'm gonna go see what my dad is up to," Sam says, standing up, "I'll be right back."

She walks off to the front. Robby walks away from the bag, closer to where I'm doing my form. I finish out a section, coming to a stop.

"You're really good at forms," Robby says, "but I still don't see how they'll keep us alive."

Oh this man. Alright, I guess I'll do what my instructors had to do for us when we all though it was stupid.

"Here, attack me- lightly please, friendly spar," I say, taking a relaxed fighting position, bouncing a little on the balls of my feet. He does the same, grinning a little.

"You ready?"

"For a kata? Bring it on,"

The audacity he chooses to have-

He front kicks, but I get it away, front kicking him in return, then spearing to what would be the nose or eyes. I use his slight surprise to get to the ground, kicking him in the stomach, through if it was a real fight I would aim lower or maybe even sweep his leg. I go for the punch, then stand up, elbowing him in the stomach.

"Basically that, except the spear would be to your eyes- most likely- and the first kick would be lower so you would be doubled over and the punch would go to your face and-"

"Park that was amazing! What- what kata was that?!" Robby says as I turn back around. I smile. First of all, rude, don't cut me off.

"It's part of a tae kwon do pattern," I say, laughing a little at his shock.

"Can you teach me?" He asks. I sure can.

"As long as you admit that kata and forms aren't as useless as you keep saying they are,"

"Deal,"

"Alright, just move with me, ready? Guarding block. Back leg front kick. Spear hand with the right-"

"No way, are you learning a new kata without me?" Sam asks, walking back over to us. I come to a relaxed position.

"It's the second degree tae kwon do form. I was just proving to Robby that kata and patterns aren't useless," I say.

"If there's anyone to do it, it's you," she says, "but my dad needs us for something. I guess we're going somewhere?"

——

Mr LaRusso explained his little master plan to us. I think this really is his last hope... I feel bad for him. Miyagi-Do is everything karate is supposed to be... but Cobra Kai is everything the people want karate to be. It's kind of like me. I get good grades, I follow rules, I try my hardest to be what I'm supposed to be... but people don't want that.

Struggles aside, I'm not mad about Mr LaRusso doing all the work while the three of us just hang out at the beach and pool. I've already gotten so much tanner than have in the last six years, and this is just another opportunity to make it better. I'm a little sore, so I don't know how much swimming I'll do, but I sure do plan on vibing. Honestly, me swimming will depend on if they swim, because anxiety will not allow me to be the only one. Heaven forbid.