40- Skating Rink

"You look happy," I say, looking up from my book as Robby walks into our room.

"I am happy," he says, "Sam and I are going out, so we don't have to sneak around."

Oh that's nice. They've been avoiding showing affection around any of the other LaRussos and I'm usually on guard duty. I'm also a convenient excuse for them because Sam can come down to our room and make out with Robby and they can just say that the three of us were hanging out.

"Nice. Where to?" I ask. I hope I'm not coming off as intrusive or anything, but I do like knowing where they go just in case I need to come get them out of a sticky situation.

"The skating rink. It's 80's night. Should be super fun," he says. It's nice to see him this excited.

"Sounds fun. I hope you guys have a good time," I say. He grins at me. I smile back, then focus back on my reading. It'll be nice to have the room to myself. I love my best friends, but sitting in here while they make out is literally the most awkward thing in the world. I just have to sit there and pretend like nothing is going on. I can't talk because that would be weird, not that I have anything to say while they're going at it, but still. It'll be nice to just vibe. I could work on patterns or karate stuff or read in peace and quiet or just stare at wall for hours.. heck, I could probably listen to music or watch YouTube without earbuds in, the possibilities are almost endless.

"Hey," Sam says as she walks in.

"Hey," we both respond. She also looks happy. I'm happy too, for every party involved. Sam's face lights up even more out of nowhere. I'm scared, what's going on?

"You should come with us to the skating rink!" She says. ¿Qué? No, absolutely not, I refuse.

"No, no, no, I am not being the pathetic third wheel," I laugh. I get it enough here, I don't need it in public.

"You wouldn't be a third wheel," she protests. Does she know what a third wheel is?

"I would most definitely be a third wheel," I say, "here's the thing Sam: I was built to be a third wheel. I'm not the person people date. People don't fall for this, okay? I'm the person people drag along. It is what it is. I don't want you guys to feel like you have to drag me along."

"Come on Parker it'll be fun! It won't feel like we're dragging you along!" She insists. I don't even want to go. I'd be dragging myself along.

"If I go will you stop asking me?"

"Duh,"

"Fine, I'll go, but only if Robby is genuinely okay with it- don't try to lie, we both know I'll catch it- and the condition that I won't be expected to hang around you guys the whole time, because I know this sounds absolutely crazy coming from someone socially awkward, but if I'm getting dragged, I'd rather be alone than intrude on you guys' one chance this week to go out together," I say. I joke about it, but they've been unintentionally causing my anxiety and overthinking to act up lately. Like I feel like like I'm just an excuse... and I'm more afraid to tell Robby things and be like we used to be because I'm scared I'll overstep my place in his life now that he has a girlfriend. Sam has already had some bad luck with guys. I don't want her to think there's anything between me and Robby because there's not. It's just like with the newer Miyagi-Do students... it'll take some getting used to.

"I don't mind. You've been so caught up in karate and tae kwon do and everything else you're trying to balance. You need a break," Robby says. Awe. I don't have the heart to tell him that staying here and making cookies or doing anything that doesn't involve a lot of people would be a much better break.

"I don't want you to be alone at the skating rink though," he adds on. I also don't particularly want to be alone, but I'd rather be alone than be the sorry third wheel right behind them.