87 - Small World

History. The most boring hour of my day. Don't get me wrong, some of it is very interesting, but most of the time, it's just a lot of dates and learning about the same group of white guys over and over again. Even though I don't think it's anywhere near as interesting as most forms of science, I know that learning history is important, because if we don't learn about it, we're doomed to repeat it. Kind of like Mr LaRusso and Mr Lawrence...

"Parker?" a voice asks. I look up sharply. Tory? Sam must've decided to sign off... good... that was a mature decision. Now hopefully they can both start to get their lives back on track in wake of what happened. I don't say anything as she sits down in the only empty seat in the class, which, of course, happens to be next to mine. My heart pounds. My face is warm, but I just keep my eyes focused on my spiral in front of me, desperately just waiting for the teacher to start the lesson so I can start taking notes. The bell rings once more, signaling the start of class. Gracias a Dios.

"Alright, today we're just continuing those maps I passed out yesterday at the end of class. You may work with the people around you, but if I can hear what you're talking about, you're too loud," the teacher says, sitting down at his desk afterwards. Of course. The one day I need to be distracted by notes, we're not taking any. And I finished the map last night because I thought it would be due when we got to class. I put my spiral away, trying hard not to look over at Tory. It looks like this class suddenly got a lot more interesting...

——

"Parker!" Tory calls after me as I walk out of the classroom as fast as I can. I pause, giving in and turning around.

"I don't want to start anything. Sam and her mom told me to stay away from you... but I need help... I'm behind in math, and Robby told me you could help... I just need a weekend, just a day to go over everything I don't understand... Sam hates me and I know you do too, but I'm just- I'm just trying to fix something in my life."

I sigh, looking off to the side. I want to help... I know she's hurt me and my friends, and that we've been opposing each other for months... but a part of me nags at my my heart, whispering the same words over and over again...

She's just like you...

The whispers grow more frequent, becoming a cacophony of a voice I know to be my own. The whispers turn into shouting. The shouting turns into screams. My head and heart both pound hard, making me want to throw myself into a wall just to make it all stop. Just as the sounds of my inner voice torturing me seem to grow to be too much, I look back over at her, giving a small nod, trying to mask the tears in my eyes.

"I can't do it this weekend. I've got a show choir trip to Texas," I say, voice quiet, but firm and steady, "but I've been helping Robby at the Cobra Kai dojo in the evenings. Just ask him when I'll be there. You can join us then. Algebra 2, no?"

She nods, seeming shocked. Rightfully so. I'm a little surprised myself, to be honest. A part of me just wants to run away and never look back, but then there would always be a part of me that'll whisper in my ear when it gets too quiet, telling me over and over again that I should've helped. I have to look at it from her angle. If I were to be in her position, I would just want help too. So often I've been in that position... just wanting help, but too scared to reach out for it... but I don't want to be too scared to help her. Usually in a fight, I use my agility and long legs to dart around people, to get away. But I'm dealing with a Cobra Kai right now... Cobras don't back down from a challenge... they look their opponent in the eyes, stand firm, and hold their ground... and that's what I have to do now.