96 - New Game

(A/N- just a warning: this is the longest chapter to date by ~far~, so just... prepare yourself for it, va bene?)

I get out of my car, walking up to the sports arena where every tournament I've ever competed in has taken place, my heart pounding. My stomach doesn't seem to agree with my decision. My whole body feels weighed down by dread.

"Kata?"

"Gracias a Dios, you're still awake. I didn't wake you up did I?" I ask, holding the phone closer, suddenly more terrified than before.

"Nah, I couldn't sleep anyway. What are you doing up, you have a tournament tomo- today, at this point. You know what Abelardo always says about getting good sleep-"

"I know, I know, I just... I have a really big favor to ask..."

"Hey you," Cameron says as I walk up to where I told him to meet me. I don't say anything back. I can barely look at him. I feel so sick.

"Hey... I know this is all a lot... and I know what's going on with your dojo and your sides is crazy and overwhelming, but I've got you. René's little sister is my little sister. I've got you."

I feel like I could cry all over again. I nod.

"Thank you... thank you..." is all I manage to get out.

"Anytime. Ready to walk in? You had us show up early, as usual. You got everything? Did you eat? Do you have water?" Cameron asks, "I'm just trying to do what Abelardo does."

I actually manage to crack a small smile. He does sound like Mr Abelardo, who usually rushes around before tournaments making sure his students are in peak competing condition.

"I was gonna say you sounded like him. And yeah..." I say, looking back at the entrance to the arena, "I'm ready."

As Cameron and I walk in, I do everything in my power to keep my posture straight and confident-looking, even though my actual posture is abysmal.

"In two day's time, we'll all meet out front and walk in together as a team..." Mr LaRusso says, "everybody show up in their gis. Nobody will forget what side we represent, and what side will win."

This isn't what was planned. This isn't what Mr LaRusso wanted... and right now... that's perfect... but it's not perfect... but it is... I don't know... there's no side that would feel right. There's nowhere I feel like I belong... I'm always out of place...

"Dojo?" the registration lady asks as the two of us walk up. My heart sinks down to the bottom of my stomach as heat flashes and chills attack my body at the same time.

"I'm done. Take me off the roster, take me off the list, I'm done. I'm done being used, I'm done being treated like shit and pretending that nothing is wrong. Ho finito... I'm done..." I say through tears to a call I know my recipient won't hear until he wakes up in the morning... and by then it will already be too late...