57- Fight Back

So Miguel Diaz is a bitch ass snitch, but in the best way possible, I suppose. He told his mom about my potentially broken rib and she was able to get me an x-ray free of charge on anybody's part- I triple checked with her to make sure that she wasn't paying for it without me knowing and she assured me that she was not. Luckily, it was only a minor fracture and it should heal quickly enough. I sit on the couch in the living room, icing my ribs and the bruise to try and alleviate some of the pain. I've been taking things easier in tae kwon do since the big fight, but I never fully stopped, which is frowned upon. I couldn't risk losing things like my flexibility, muscle, and muscle memory, especially not when Cobra Kai was still training, and training hard.

I couldn't sleep the other night, so I started reading the book that Robby was reading before Sam dragged us to that god awful party. If it wasn't for that, then everything would probably still be okay... I wish I had tried to convince Sam that it was a bad idea... then maybe we all wouldn't be traumatized, Miguel wouldn't be paralyzed, Robby wouldn't be in juvie, and... I don't know... I just wish I could go back and change things... as I turn the page, a picture of a bonsai tree appears, pleasantly surprising me. That reminds me, I should probably water my own.

I stand up, crossing over to the windowsill where I've been letting the little tree get some sun. I've been making sure to take particularly good care of it, watering it at the right times, letting it get sun, clipping it to perfection whenever need be... I'm a little surprised that it's lasted this long, especially after what my dad did to it... things around me have a tendency to get hurt, leave, or die... I guess it's like Mr LaRusso said...

Le sue radici sono forti (its roots are strong)... just like yours. I know things are really rough right now, but they're gonna get better...

I hope they do... I hope he was right...

As I gently set the bonsai tree back on the windowsill, something in the pavilion below catches my eye. ¿Qué- is that Miguel? Is he- is he standing..? What is he reaching for? I follow his hand upwards. Mr Lawrence? From what I gather, his sensei seems to be dangling something off of the floor above Miguel, while the later of the two reaches for it? Next thing I know, Miguel is on the concrete. Ay Dios mío... that must've hurt. Some sick part of me almost laughs, but the rest of it knows that that would literally be so awful. I watch long enough to make sure he's okay, then pull out my phone as he rolls away from Mr. Lawrence just to double check for myself.

Miguel

hey i just watched you fall-

are you okay?

-shit u saw that??

yeah...-

-that's embarrassing

-i'm okay though

-thanks for checking

yeah ofc-

what happened anyway??-

-my sensei is trying to help