• 232 •

Hearing those words from K'xug, Xue became equally gloomy.

"..."

Unable to offer any words of comfort, Xue simply raised his hand and placed it upon K'xug's shoulder.

Since Xue has never personally encountered someone under the control of a soul-binding spell, he wasn't able to say anything.

It was only K'xug who knew.

Just from his expression, Xue knew that Hana's situation was very serious.

He was just as concerned as K'xug was, however, he couldn't imagine how K'xug must be feeling at this moment. After all, the moment the needle struck Hana, K'xug already had an inkling what it was.

Alas, when it struck Hana, it was already too late.

The process had already started at that moment.

A soul is very delicate.

Even if K'xug had found a way to remove the needle, there was no telling if there would be a backlash or if it would expedite the process. In addition to that, there were no other people out there like those from the demon clan who specialized in treating ailments related to the soul.

He had no one to go to for help.

Every step he took, he would be met with an obstacle.

Zeau definitely would not offer his help.

The weird devil wouldn't sabotage his brother's efforts.

There were no other survivors from that demon clan.

If he destroyed the needle inside of Hana with light magic, it would have damaged her soul in the process.

K'xug was trapped in a horrible place.

He knew what was happening to Hana, and yet, he could not do anything about it.

Xue understood what it was like to be in such a place.

"I've been a fool, all this time," K'xug muttered out those words, his head ducked down as he placed his hand on his forehead. "What was the point in doing all that? If I knew things would turn out like that, I wouldn't have..."

Xue tightened his grip on K'xug's shoulder, frowning deeply. "It's not your fault."

"I should have been there, I made a promise to myself. I said I would protect you."

"K'xug..."

"Why did I do that? Why did I walk away? I should have stubbornly stuck by her side."

"Oi, wake up, K'xug. I said it isn't your fault."

"Haha..." K'xug chuckled bitterly, his expression twisted as he lifted his head, looking at Xue. "See, I knew it. I will never be worthy of someone like Hana Katae, someone like me...I couldn't protect my friend and he died because of me, and now, I can't even protect you when you need it most."

"K'xug!"

Xue grabbed K'xug by the collar of his shirt, glaring at him.

Linqin and Wang Jie, who were still arguing, flinched at Xue raising his voice. They glanced over, wearing a look of confusion on their faces. Their argument finally came to an end.

"Are you an idiot?"

K'xug seemed to be on the verge of crying, his expression twisted with pain.

"An idiot? Yeah...yeah, I am one. An idiot that no one in this world can compare to."