• 266 •

The castle in the demon realm was laid to ruins, and the surroundings around the castle was in a complete mess. The ground had been charred, an obvious evidence that a fierce fight had taken place. Even the buildings around weren't spared, it was as if a powerful force had swept through the area, pummelling through the collapsed buildings.

In the sombre, mauve-coloured skies of the demon realm, the two demon brothers were engaged in a fierce fight that had lasted for days. Unfortunately, due to their same fight, the demons in the vicinity had to escape to the mortal realm, since they had nowhere else to seek shelter. Their homes were destroyed by the same people they served.

"Have you calmed down?" Veau asked.

"What do you think?!" Zeau rushed forward, the flute on his lips as he blew into it. Dozens of needles hovered in the air behind him, coalescing together to form a huge sword made out of dark magic.

The sword swung and the attack cut through the air. The force was intense, splitting the ground and air apart.

"It has been two days, brother." Veau sighed, summoning out dozens of swords and forming a defensive line. He blocked the vicious attack from Zeau, lacking any clear intention of fighting back.

"You still haven't answered me! What did mother say to you before she passed, and why...why did you have to lie to me!" Zeau roared.

"Would you be able to listen to me like this?" Veau questioned, raising an eyebrow.

Zeau paused in his actions, gritting his jaw. His demonic red eyes glowing and his voice becoming low. "Was it fun? Playing a trick? It's your speciality. You've tricked me all these years, you succeeded Veau. Do you want me to say my congratulations?"

This time, it was Veau's turn to roar at Zeau.

"Who do you think I am?! How could you think so little of me?!"

"Then why did you have to lie?!"

"Because you were hurting," Veau flew in closer, shoving Zeau at the shoulder, his demonic red eyes reflecting the same anger that Zeau held. "And so was I!"

Those words made Zeau hesitate.

"What does lying have to do with that–" Zeau said, only to be cut off.

"Everything!" Veau barked out.

The two of them breathed heavily as they hovered in the sky, but none of them made any moves to attack one another again. Veau clenched his jaw, raising his hand and placing it on his chest, his face twisting as he remained silent.

"..."

"..."

Zeau found it hard to read his brother's expression that was constantly twisting.

Eventually, Veau lowered his head and his anger dissipated.

"I...I was hurting too, and there was nothing I could do."

Zeau could hear the vulnerability in Veau's voice, and he knew his brother was pouring out his true feelings before him.

Veau lifted his head, a bitter look on his face.

"On that day, when we were separated and had to watch mother and father die before us. After I reunited with you..." Veau spoke, his voice shaking slightly. "Do you know what you looked like? Have you ever placed yourself in my shoes?"

"...I...I'm not..."

"What would you have done differently, for an older brother suffering just as much as you are?"

The rage that Zeau held inside began to quell down, especially after seeing how vulnerable Veau was before him.

"...I was just a stupid kid that wanted to be a good little brother," Veau finished his tirade, his voice trembling. "That's all I wanted to be at that time."