• 255 •

Veau stepped into the room and he was greeted by his grumpy master. He also felt the gaze of his brother on him, noticing the two of them seated around a white porcelain table.

It clearly didn't fit in this dilapidated castle or in the demon realm. Veau knew it was something that his master kept within his portable storage.

Zeau sat on the porcelain chair, his legs crossed over the other. His expression was full of exasperation and helplessness, Veau could see the barrier surrounding the two of them, as well as the light magic seal imprinted on Zeau's palm that was trembling as he held the teacup.

Ah.

That explains why my impulsive older brother isn't being like himself.

Just then, there was a soft mewl from below. Veau glanced down, raising an eyebrow when he saw a familiar red fox.

"Oh? Aren't you that little red fox that was eager for praise?"

The red fox stiffened. It looked between her master and Veau, the panic evident in her irises.

"Hmmm," Veau tilted his head, a lazy smile on his face. "Are you interested in dying your fur blue now?"

"What is this brat spouting?" Valoel muttered, widening his eyes slightly.

Zeau let out a heavy sigh. "Even in this situation..."

Poof!

The red fox transformed as it was surrounded by a dark mist.

"That's enough! Blue, blue, blue! There's a limit to how much I can tolerate, weird demon lord!" her red tail on her back stood up, her hair standing as she let out a hiss. "Grrr! I hate you!"

Veau blinked rapidly. "You're a Kilgitsu."

"So you have been paying attention to my lessons about the world afterall." Valoel stated in surprise, placing his teacup down.

"You think too little of me, master." Veau responded, seemingly offended.

Valoel cleared his throat with a cough, stroking his beard. "With your reputation, it was hard not to."

"That's right, a Kilgitsu! I am half-demon and half-fox, but hmph!" she turned her head away, folding her arms across her chest. "I'm no longer compelled to listen to you anymore thanks to the grumpy old man!"

She glanced back at Veau tauntingly.

"What are you going to do about it, heh!"

Veau shrugged. "Nothing."

She blinked in shock.

"We won't do anything," Zeau added, his hand still trembling as he held onto the teacup unwillingly with a cold smile. "We abhorred that trait of a demon anyway."

Her fox tail sank down at their lacklustre response, she turned her head away once again with a pout.

"How amusing," Valoel chuckled, a glint in his eyes as he spoke. "You brats say that, but you are abusing that trait of a demon right now."

"..."

"..."

The two demon brothers had nothing to say.

"...Master, will you tell us why you are here now?" Zeau asked, placing down the teacup with effort, clenching his jaw. "After living in seclusion for these hundreds of years?"

"..."

Valoel hesitated, before opening his mouth to speak.

"It was my mistake. I was too naive, believing that changing all of this wasn't all that difficult. It was my own foolishness that brought upon such disappointment. Unable to face the reality and my emotions, I truly believe taking a neutral stance was the right decision. I was only protecting myself."