Extra: The Infinite River

Author's Note: People have been asking for side stories of the other lives of Cecil Lan and Xue.

They are all sad, so instead of filling up the end of the book with sad extras, I'll slot it in between chapters to lessen that weight. Having multiple sad side stories in a row will definitely take a huge toll on people xD.

-------

World XXX: Archmage x Water Mage

A river full of glowing plants that glittered day and night. It was a famous tourist spot, especially during the night, in the city of water magic. 

Even in the dead of night, people crowded around the river that flowed endlessly, admiring the astounding sight they could never see anywhere else. A young man carried his child on his shoulders, and beside him, his wife slid her hand around his, her head resting on his arm. 

"Dad, dad."

"Yes, Jun?"

"Will the river ever stop glowing like that?"

"It won't," his wife answered, smiling at their son. "There is a magic spell over it to preserve its beauty."

"How?"

"This place is called, The Infinite River, my dear Jun," his wife chuckled, placing a kiss on her son's cheek. "The spell is for an eternity–everlasting, infinity."

"But why? Why would someone waste their magic like that?"

"There is a legend behind this river."

The young couple sat down on the grass, leaning in as they shared the fairytale that had been passed down from generation to generation. 

"Long ago, when archmages still existed, among them all, there lived a prodigal son of an archmage. So prodigal, he was said to be the greatest archmage to have ever graced upon the world."

It was a tragic fairytale that was never forgotten. 

***

Mizu. 

The kingdom of water. 

The birthplace of the greatest water mages. 

It was also the birthplace of the worst water mages. 

Shinohara Maemi belonged to the latter, and unfortunately, she was the worst of the worst. She was such a failure of a water mage, her name spread throughout the kingdom. However, it wasn’t because she was a failure, but how she faced her failure with an optimistic attitude. 

The people didn’t hate her. 

…on the contrary, they loved her dearly. 

“Hahah! You can’t catch me!” 

“Come back here! Don’t run too far ahead–watch out!” 

“Ah!” 

A young female child bumped into a woman, the ice cream in her hands staining the woman’s dress. 

The mother, dressed in tattered clothes, unlike her child, immediately paled. She rushed forward, not taking a good look at the woman’s face. Her head was bowed down, apologising profusely with a loud voice. 

“I apologise, my child was too playful! I-I can help you wash your dress–” 

Upon seeing her mother reacting in such a manner, the young female child realised she did something terribly wrong. Unable to control her emotions, she broke out into a loud wail.