• 275 •

"Having any sort of emotions weakens your mind. Now, do you understand why?"

Those were the words the Oracle recalled before she lost her consciousness. She only wanted to disappear from everyone, just for a little while.

Every single time she closed her eyes, she could only see her hands stretching out to the helpless innocent souls that she saved. With one touch from her, their bodies disintegrated and they left nothing behind.

Not a single thing to remember them by.

It proved their existence was nothing.

"The balance of the world is at stake."

Those same words kept churning in her mind.

On and on.

...again and again.

If she didn't understand the meaning of emotions, she would have thought nothing of those words. They were simply commands given by the Creator, her reason behind her existence.

Nevertheless, that terrified her even more.

She didn't want to become the callous tool that took away the existence of an individual.

She wanted to become the opposing force that prevented that from happening.

It was such a happy world.

A peaceful world.

The same world that gave her joy, freedom and compassion.

The same world that taught her the meaning of a life.

"Why...why do I have to destroy a world like that? If anything else, we should protect it."

The Oracle spoke, walking down a long path with her bare feet. Despite the endless void surrounding her, her white robes and blindfold flowed her graceful movements.

"The resources of a world are finite, and at this rate, it will collapse. The future will cease to exist, and hence, a balance is needed."

Something moved within the void.

Just then, vision of future events started to spread across the void. It was tragedy after tragedy. Whether people lost their loved ones, a nation wiped out by famine and diseases and a country struggling for survival amidst a civil war.

"Do you still selfishly wish to take a step forward, Oracle?"

She looked forward and the scene of her taking lives, just like before, replayed in front of her. She faltered, taking a step back as her eyes trembled with fear.

"Are you prepared to?"

No matter what action I take, the present and the future will suffer.

Is there no other way?

Is this what living is supposed to be?

Just to wait for one's turn to suffer?

The Oracle closed her eyes in defeat. "Is this all there is to life?"

"Kugh."

All of a sudden, the Creator uttered a sound of struggle.

"What about those memories we shared? The memories only you know of."

The Oracle paused.

The memories I shared? The memories only I know of?

Does the Creator not know the things I have seen?

The Oracle widened her eyes in realisation.