Chapter 40

He placed his trunk in the foyer of the mansion. With his hands in his pockets he turned to give one last look at his childhood home before he went back to the place that had become home. Theo looked around the dark space which led off to dark hallways in all directions and sighed.

As a child, he remembered how his mother always cursed his father's love of the colour black. So, in protest to his gothic style, she would place a charm on the black roses that grew proudly around the grounds and turn them yellow. There would be a vase in every room. Theo loved them. They were the brightness the manor was missing.

Week after week, a new bunch replaced the old.  That was of course, until they didn't. He remembered how wilted and dried up the last bunch looked the day of her funeral. And just like that, she took all the brightness with her. And his father never replaced it.

He smiled at his thoughts returned to his new brightness. His mother would've loved her. And Aurora would've loved her too.

"Theodore, a word,"his fathers voice said, dragging him out of his nostalgia.

Theo bit the inside of his cheek nervously.

What could this be?

He followed his father into the study.

"You were saying,"Theo pushed.

His father stood staring out the window into the front lawn.

"How's school going?,"he asked tonelessly.

Theo almost scoffed. This was the first time since he came home his father had actually spoken to him properly.

"Fine,"he said.

It was now his fathers turn to scoff.

"Fine? Any preferred classes this year?,"he asked.

Theo was drowning in confusion.

"Father I don't understand.......,"he started.

But before he could finish his sentence, his father had whipped around and advanced towards him, grabbing him by the collar.

"Merlin are you thick boy? I'm asking you in what areas does your magic strive?,"he bellowed.

Theo swallowed.

"Potions,"he said, lowly.

Dorian sharpened his eyes at him.

"Theodore, you are many things. But you're mother never raised you to be a liar,"he said, his jaw tightening as he spoke.

Theo wanted to hex him for trying to use his mother to get to him.

"I'm not lying,"he said strongly.

Dorian tightened his grip on his collar.

"Yes you are! Draco has told Lucius you're exceeding in the Darker Arts,"he pushed.

Theo rolled his eyes.

"Of course Malfoy would say that. Wait-."

Why would Draco admit to Theo being better at something?

"Why do you ask?,"he said, finally pulling out of his fathers grip.

Dorian examined him for a minute or two.

"No reason, just wondered. Theodore, you're older now, so I feel as your father I should be able to tell you things that I may not have told you before. Tell me, what do you know about Lord Voldemort?,"he pushed.

Theo felt his throat tighten.

"He's a dark wizard,"he mumbled.

Dorian chuckled viciously.