30 Are you happy?

Daisy's Pov

The question and answer session continued up until the dinner ended. Aunt Olivia and mom kept asking questions to Micah. Their questions sometimes were so rediculous that I felt shameful. 

You know the feeling you get when you go to market with your mom and aunt and they start to bargain with the shopkeeper asking 1000$ goods for 500$, you feel so shameful that you try to hide yourself from people.  I bet there is no person who haven't experienced this utterly humiliating situation.

I think Micah is going to fail, 'cause Ethan did not show any change at all. He was like it doesn't bothers him at all. I was a little , just a little anticipating to see him jealous. But to no avial I was  disappointed.

But on a different note why am I even disappointed? I will win the bet right?

But I really was expecting it.

Finally when the dinner ended I breathed a sigh of relief or else I would have died of humiliation. Mom and dad said their goodbye and went home followed by Uncle Max and Aunt Olive.

I stood  waiting for Micah to retrieve the car . Ethan stood beside me waiting for his driver.

I didn't know what to say to him. There was a uncharacteristic nervousness I was feeling standing beside him, faint scent of his cologne engulfed me. 

" Are you happy?" I suddenly heard him ask in a resigned tone. His voice in the silent dark night resonated deep within my mind. 

Happy about what?  I asked myself.

What was I expecting? I wanted to hear something from him. But did not know what exactly I wanted. This feeling was frustrating, like it was nagging me to acknowledge it, to work on it , but I couldn't do it. I was confused, utterly and miserably confused. 

" Are you happy being with him?" he asked again when I did not answer.

I looked at the dark sky which was covered with the blanked of  bright stars, millions and millions of stars brightening the dark night.

" I will be" I whispered.

Maybe I will be after the outcome of this bet. It will end at last. When I win at the end I will be satisfied, right?

" Are you happy with me staying away from you?" he looked into my eyes with his blue one's. Like always I found myself unable to look away from them, they were captivating and beautiful, more beautiful that the sky full of stars.

I found my words stuck into my throat. 

" Are you happy?" he asked again, there was slight expectation in his tone and a little bit of dispair. 

The slight dispair in his voice made my heart turn a mess. Was he giving up? Just like that. 

Am I wrong to think about future and neglect my present? Am I wrong to think that if suddenly I disappear from this world, I would leave him alone? 

But do I want to go back?

Do I want to return to the world with  no one for me? 

Do I want to?

No..

The sudden realization petrified me. I did not wanted to go back. Not where I won't have mom and dad. Even though Elijah Williams and Ava are are not my real parents but I didn't wanted to leave them. I wanted to be greedy...just for once. Greedy for warmth, love and greedy for him.